Can I cross t-slot on saw table?

I'm thinking of rebuilding my shop built band saw table and like the newer styles that have a 2nd miter slot running at a 90 degree angle from the main/standard slot, sort of like this one:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 164
I've used t-slot/t-track material a few times, but never had it "cross" or "T" before... Can this be done with purchased slot material??
Mac
Yes, with careful double-mitering of the tracks, why not? In the catalogue, there's a closeup of the intersection of the four pieces. Tom
mac davis wrote:

Look around on the Rockler website some more, I'm pretty sure I recently saw them advertizing a new product that is a T-slot intersection. It should be exactly what you need. I'm thinking of the same thing for my next-generation shop-built router table.
Tom
On 30 Mar 2006 08:18:38 -0800, tom snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Thanks, Tom... that would make it easier!
I got started on this when I tried to build a circle cutting jig for the band saw and saw that some of the new tables with "crossed slots" just used a locking slot slide with a pin sticking up... Mac
mac davis wrote:

I found it, Rockler Item #32453. I'll be buying two of these very soon!
Good luck, Tom
On 30 Mar 2006 08:23:44 -0800, tom snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Hey Tom... I need to ask a dumb question, instead of making a dumb mistake.. *g*
They say that the intersection kit works with their 3/4" t-track, but they ask if you want the 1/2" or mini 3/8" kit...
Would/wood th 1/2" be the one to order for the 3/4" track?
Math is a bitch.. lol Mac

The 1/2 vs 3/8 is the depth of the slots while 3/4 is the width.
dcm

You just had to look a little harder. It's
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 417
Bruce Barnett wrote:

So how is this different or better than mitering the ends on (cheaper) ordinary t-track?
er
--
email not valid

It isn't. Unless you just don't want to mess with it. I was hoping for a Single piece when I went to look at it. A one piece crossing might be worth the money.

For $12.99 - it seems like a time-saver. I don't know if it's one piece or not, but when you join T-slots, there is a chance of a bump (2 cuts) that will catch. If you miter 4 pieces, you have to get 8 cuts to be flush, instead of 2. Yeah - you can fix this, but it just takes more time.
On 31 Mar 2006 13:21:00 GMT, Bruce Barnett

It says "4-piece kit"...
Mac
On 31 Mar 2006 13:21:00 GMT, Bruce Barnett

What's the problem with just running 4 square cut pieces and leaving a hole in the middle? By using this kit you're putting 4 joints between tracks 3" away from the intersection where things could catch too, there's always going to be a discontinuity at the intersection no matter what you do.
-Leuf

I'd be inclined to try sort of a half lap - cut the bottom out of one piece, and the sides out of the other, probably use a Dremel and a small file to do it.
have had this for years and am very happy with it. I have used it to make many picture frames. It is a cheap alternative
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page 63
Bruce Barnett wrote:

I don't think that setup would help me, keith... I already have a miter fence... the one from my shopsmith works ok.. but I want circle cutting and stuff that slots running both directions would be cool for..
Mac
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:03:34 -0800, mac davis

Yes, you can buy t-track that crosses like that, I've seen it in catalogs. In fact, I had a catalog here recently, that seems to have wandered away, that had it offered. I'd say check out Rockler or similar sites, it's probably pretty simple to find.

Why would you want to do that?

Main reason would be ease of circle cutting..
I'm also using a shop made fence now with stops for pen blank widths and lengths, and the measuring is getting a little old..
I use a lot of the accessories from the shopsmith and other tools in the t-slots of the band saw now, and also would like to use the intersection idea on my next router table.. Mac

here's another description, the item links back to rockler.
http://www.nesales.com/tools/t-track.htm
T-Track Intersection Kit Slide your jigs and fixtures in almost any direction! Used with our 3/4" wide aluminum T-track, this 4-piece kit allows you to make the T-track intersection you need. Each aluminum piece is 3" long and is cut at 90. Pre-drilled and countersunk with two holes to stay level when matching with other track pieces. Includes #6 x 5/8'' screws. Available in either 1/2" or 3/8" (for thinner stock) depth. Aluminum.