Can I convert my router to hold 1/2 inch bits

Page 2 of 2

boorite wrote:

What are you telling me for? tell the OP I just pointed out where to obtain 1/4" shaft RP bits.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The answer is yes. MLCS sells an adapter that allows 1/2" Router Bits in a 1/4"Collet. I would not reccomend it because the strain it would place on your routers bearings. The length of the adapter would cause much force against the bearings. If you do use it take light cuts. As far as the people who said it didn't exist thought just because they didn't know about the adapter no one would know. It's alled human folly.

Frank Arthur wrote:

Is it now? I think it's folly to suppose that MLCS or anyone sells such a product. I think you've misread just slightly. If not, please tell us what particular adapter lets you use a 1/2" shank in a 1/4" collet.
boorite wrote:

Oh, you can get these things alright. I mention them only to make it quite plain that there's no earthly way I'd be in the same workshop as one of them in use. I'd rather use a spindle moulder with a French cutter in it.

Probably not how I would have worded it, but I can't quibble with the sentiment 8-)
snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com wrote:

You've gotta be kidding. The only adapters I've seen at MLCS or anywhere else are sleeves or extensions that enable a larger collet to take a smaller shank. I can't think how it would even work in the opposite direction. Do you have an example of one?
I'm with you. If these things do exist, I don't want them anywhere near me.
Anyway, the OP's question was "can I do this," not "does a product exist that falsely claims it can do this." I'd still say the answer is "Jumpin' Jesus No!" :-D "Human folly" would be supposing otherwise.

Looking at his picture sample, it looks like a simple extension, not a 1/4" to 1/2" adapter.
Likely not one on the market but, easy enough to do. I could make you one in about an hour. It sure wouldn't be a good thing to do.

Unfortunately, he doesn't have a 1/2" collet router:

stryped (in snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com) said:
| I have a Ryobi router my father bought me for Christmas. It uses 1/4 | inch bits. Can it be converted to use 1/2 bits? The reason I am | asking is I would like to experiment with raised panel bits in my | router table but I have never been able to find them in 1/4 inch | shank size.
That conversion would probably pose a serious risk of personal injury. I strongly suggest you consider a more robust, more powerful router with speed control for this kind of router table use. Of course, these large bits should not be used for freehand routing.

All you need is to add this http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7538.htm?L+coastest+pzjq9814ff6e396e+1158249687
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pr7538.htm?L+coastest+pzjq9814ff6e396e+1158249687 I've used this upgrade/adapter kit for the Ryobi router and it works great with 1/2 inch bits.
Would recommend this to anyone.
stryped wrote:

That depends. Many routers are made to use either 1/4" or 1/2" collets...if your router is one of those and you merely lack the 1/2" collet, you can certainly buy one made for the router.
If you are unsure, unscrew the collet retaining nut, remove the collet and measure the inside diameter of the cylinder into which the collet fits...does it measure considerably *over* 1/2"? ________________

I know of one made for that purpose - use it with some frequency - but don't recall where I got it at the moment. If I remember, I'll post the info. However, you don't need special bits to raise a panel...you can do it with straight bits, with cove bits, with ogee bits and others. All are available with 1/4" shanks.
--

dadiOH

You can also make raised panels with your tablesaw.