Can I bleach red oak so that it stains close to white oak?

If you stain it with black latex paint...
On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 20:51:59 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Right. Save the white latex paint for cherry.
You realize that red oak is lighter in color than white oak, right?

Why not simply use a rattle can?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 21:53:15 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Hold on now. All I want to know is which one of you two is Abbot and which one is Costello... or is it Moe and Larry?
Depending on the particular pieces, can probably get a reasonable color matching with some trial and error. Red oak can have a great deal of variability in color; I've got some that is very red and other that is, as Leon says, as light or lighter than some white oak in shade.
The grain, however, is noticeably different...

How about trying ash? The grain matches oak fairly well and is closer to white oak than red from what I remember. My floor and my kitchen cabinets are both "grey ash". Floor was stained, cabinets not.

Yeah, get all the ash that you can before it is all dead from the long horn beetle.
On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 19:48:41 -0400, "EXT"

There is a lot on the market right now because if you cut it before it is dead the wood is still good, even if infected. Lots of places are basically "clear cutting" ash ahead of the onslaught, trying to stop the advance of the beatle.
On Mon, 16 Jun 2014 22:24:37 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Here they just ship it south, where the beatle has already hit. Can't even ship firewood north from here, but south is no problem because basically all the ash south of here is already dead or infected.
wrote in message wrote:

Around here in upstate NY the Emerald Ash Borer is the problem... NYC DEP is going to take down 4,000 trees near one of their upstate reservoirs, about half of them ash.
There are distance restrictions for trucking to mills. Firewood is restricted also. Some of the firewood dealers are looking to put in kilns to dry the wood and kill all the insects so that they can service a wider area. NYS DEC Forest Rangers are doing "firewood stings" at campgrounds looking for wood that is outside of the regulations.

And then try and explain to a client why a color under fluorescents looks different than in natural light...
Hint: Explaining refraction and reflection of certain wavelengths of light by different pigments is NOT helpful.
--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes

Oh that is simple. Just tell them that natural light has all colors that we can see. Artificial lighting does not. If a color from a particular light source is not present the wood or pigment cannot reflect it. Then you can go into the colors that are absorbed and not reflected by the wood. :-)