Can I adapt rip fence to work left of blade?

Forgive my wierd question. I am right handed but find it more comfortable to rip from the left side of the blade. I am planning to get a 10 inch right-tilt cabinet saw but I don't want all that capacity on the right, I would like it on the left. Is it possible to simply move the whole rail system to the left?
Thanks for any info. Will
If the rails bolt down properly, you've got them supported properly and the guide has a flat face on the right side of it then you should be good to go. It would also be handy if there was a mitre slot on both sides of the blade. Most tablesaws do.

it will depend on the fence, probably. if it's a biesemeyer or one of the clones, it's pretty trivial to reverse them. you may have to buy a new stick on tape measure too. cabinet saws come in left and right tilts also. which is better is a matter of raging controversy here ; ^ ) a google search or two ought to familliarize you with the salient points of argument. just reverse them for your handedness...     Bridger
D -
If the fence is in it's normal (usual) postion to the right of the blade and it is tuned up so that it "toes-out" at the end by a smidgen, that will reduce pinches and some possibilities of kickback. If you move the fence to the left, you'll be setting the fence so that it "toes-in" at the back which is anywhere from a problem to an outright safety hazard.
If you're going to set the fence to the left, I'd adjust it so that it was *exactly* parellel to the blade - that way you could rip on either side without worrying about having the fence pinch on the outfeed.
Don't ask me how I know this.
Depending on your fence system, you might also be able to move the rails to the left to get all of the capacity you want.
Hope this helps!
John Moorhead Lakeport, CA
The Delta Unifence and the Biesemeyer both reverse to the other side if the blade. The tape would be the only problem. Biesemeyer even makes a fence with 48" to the left of the blade and 122" to the right. This requires a aircraft hanger to put the saw in but hey... you can do it...
http://www.biesemeyer.com/commer_fence/index.htm
D wrote:

D wrote:

Can't think of any reason you can't. You may have to drill & tap new holes. I mounted my aftermarket fence for 0" right, 35 15/16" left cut.
-- Mark
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'm extremely right handed and right eyed. I always have the fence to the left of the blade and thought this is normal. Anything else seems awkward to me. So I don't think your question is weird. My old craftsman allows the fence to be used on either side. Lousy fence tho, so I just use a machinists square in the slots to make sure the fence is the same distance at each end of the table. Fast and simple and you don't worry about the fence being square, it is always square if the table is square with the blade, which it is.
D wrote:

===================================Not a problem at all.... you will need a new measuring tape and you may or may not have to drill and tap some holes in the saw wings etc...but nothing really hard...
Because of space limitatiopn I did offset my fence on my Jet Cabinet Saw to cut up to 20 inches or so to the left of the blade...Did this 15 years ago can not remember having a single problem ...I have measuring tapes going both left and right
Bob Griffiths