Can edge joint with a planer.

x-no-archive:yes
I want to make a butcher blok out of hard maple. I have a hard maple rough cut one inch board. Can I cut it into one inch wide strips and plane all edges so it is down to 3/4 then glue them togther? Does that make sense?
stryped wrote:

Nope. Not unless you glue them together then cut into pieces the width you want the butcher block then glue them together again...butcher blocks are end grain.
--
dadiOH
____________________________
stryped wrote:

I assume you mean an edge-grain cutting board rather than a true end-grain butcher block?
You need to get one straight/flat face first. I think all you've got is a planer, so either use hand tools or else build a sled for the planer.
Then plane the other side.
Rip it into strips, then rotate all the pieces so that the planed edges line up, and glue it.
Flatten/plane again.
x-no-archive:yes
I am sorry I meant cutting board. What is the difference between edge grain and end grain styles though?
So I should wait to cut into strips until it has been planed on both sides? Chris Friesen wrote:

stryped wrote:

Try looking it up on google...there's all sorts of examples.

Up to you--but why would you want to run many strips through the planer when you can just do one board before ripping it?
Chris
stryped wrote:

Why not just cut the crap and stop asking the same question over and over again?
When someone replies to you and quotes you, your dumbass TROLLS still get archived, regardless of your no-archive flag:
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_thread/thread/13d92e271705ec44/8a77568b6e224a82?lnk=st&q ge+joint+stryped&rnum=3#8a77568b6e224a82>
If it the url wrapped, simply google "edge joint stryped"

You just don't learn, do you?
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:41:49 -0600, Dave Balderstone

LOL! Look who's talking. Dave I have tree stumps in my yard smarter than you.
On 4/11/2006 9:41 PM Dave Balderstone mumbled something about the following:

Neither do the fools that keep answering his questions.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

If he assembles it with those half-length nails, the planer blades will not hit them, right?

Dunno. Did he get that answer when he spawned the thread about the same question two montha ago?
Jeez... I need a break. I'm off to ZomboCom.
http://www.zombo.com
See ya there...
: x-no-archive:yes
: I want to make a butcher blok out of hard maple. I have a hard maple : rough cut one inch board. Can I cut it into one inch wide strips and : plane all edges so it is down to 3/4 then glue them togther?
Yes!
Does that : make sense?
No!
    -- Andy Barss