Can downward pressure split a 2 x 4?

Page 2 of 2

With a 1 s.d. 'uncertainty' of approximately +/- 2,999,900 lbs.
A shit load

Solving this kind of problem is fundamental to structural engineering of wood construction. The guiding theory is called dowel bearing strength. The equations for this are given in section 11.3 of the National Design Specification for wood construction.
If we approximate the "dumbell" as an infinitely strong bolt being loaded in double shear by infinitely strong side members, then the equation 11.3-7 governs.
The allowable compression parallel to the grain for this scenario is given as: Z = D * lm * Fem / Rd
where D is the diameter of the bolt (5/16) lm is the thickness of the main member (1.5 inches) Fem is the dowel bearing strength for the wood species in question. If we assume Douglas Fir with a specific gravity of 0.5, the dowel bearing strength is 5600 PSI. Rd is a reduction factor. In this case of perfectly parallel to the grain loading, Rd = 4
so Z = .3125 * 1.5 * 5600 / 4 Z = 656
The wood can be relied upon to carry a weight of 656 pounds for 10 years. This can be increased by a factor of up to 1.6 for "short duration" events (approximating seismic loads or wind gusts) to 1050 pounds.
There is approximately a 3:1 safety factor in this number, so we would not expect it to fail at less than 3000 pounds in a quick test. A particularly good specimen might go to as much as 7:1 or 7350 pounds.
The proposed additional drilled holes are considered of no consequence from an engineering design perspective, since the spacing is greater than 5 times the diameter of the fastener. The wood has sufficient shear strength to transfer the compressive load to the neighboring fibers and thus around the holes below the one carrying the load. After all, this kind of loading is exactly what the trunk of a tree has to support as it is growing -- carrying the weight of the crown down past branches and woodpecker holes.
I can't vouch that this is right, but it sounds damn impressive!
SteveP.

This assumes that the load applied is insufficient to cause buckling of the column.
todd
todd wrote:

[...]
It does. However, the question _was_ "how much will cause it to split", not "how much will cause it to fail somehow".
- Brooks

Wow!
A lucid response to an inane question. I am impressed.
Well done!
Regards.
Tom
On 25 Jan 2006 19:29:17 -0800, david snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Troll
Tom Banes <xleanone nospam.mail.airmail.net> wrote:

Thu, Jan 26, 2006, 10:43pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@usenet.love.invalid (JohnDoe) deigns ro respond: Troll
Sigh. Looks like I was right. Just another sad, dorky, troll. Why else responses like that? Sigh.
JOAT You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.
yes, but not right away...

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
John Doe wrote:

Almost sounds like you're making a pair of stilts. I don't know the answer to your question, but if you *were* making stilts I can tell you that TWO 5/16" bolts per foot ledge seemed to hold well for all the kids that walked around on the various pairs of stilts that I made.
Joe Barta
Yes, Virginia, downward pressure can split a 2 x 4.
That's what they make axes for.
XNoArchive troll