Can circular blade for plywood be used on other types of wood ?

Dear Group,

I am new to this group and also very new to wood working. Just starting to get interested. After several negotiations with my wife I have started investing in some tools.

Recently I purchased a 7-1/4 plywood cutting circu;ar blade and I am wondering if I can use this to cut other types of wood which are not plywood.

Pardon my ignorance if this is a dumb question.

Thanks and Regards, rsr

Reply to
News Reader

You can cut plain-old wood with a plywood blade...but it will probably cut very slowly. A good carbide combination blade at Home Depot will only set you back a few $$.

************************************ Chris Merrill snipped-for-privacy@christophermerrillZZZ.net (remove the ZZZ to contact me) ************************************
Reply to
Chris Merrill

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Clint is correct. You can use the plywood blade but it won't work great. You may find that it actual burns the edge of the wood. The combo blade have open slots around the edge to give the wood you are cutting a place to go and thus prevent the burning.

Good luck!

Reply to
WoodChuck34

I dont think thats such a good idea! I think the blade will heat.

Reply to
tshiker

News Reader wrote: Group: rec.woodworking Date: Mon, Jul 21, 2003, 7:20am (EDT-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@regeti.com (News=A0Reader) Dear Group, I am new to this group and also very new to wood working. Just starting to get interested. After several negotiations with my wife I have started investing in some tools. Recently I purchased a 7-1/4 plywood cutting circu;ar blade and I am wondering if I can use this to cut other types of wood which are not plywood. Pardon my ignorance if this is a dumb question. Thanks and Regards, rsr

************************************************* I use my plywood blade for cutting plexiglass and it works fine. However I would not use it for any other wood but plywood. Peace ~ Sir Edgar =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8= =F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8=F8
Reply to
Sir Edgar

Dear Group,

Do you need per permission to get a haircut also?

While you can, you shouldn't. It was designed to do a specific job well and it will do other job either poorly, or the blade will suffer and not do such a good job on plywood the next time. Get a good combination blade at th e very least. Cheap blades can be more of a hassle and more expensive in the long run. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski