Can anyone splan what this 'clamp' ...

is supposed to accomplish other than look pretty and be expensive? Don't see how it applies clamping pressure to the joint? Joe http://www.woodpeck.com/clampingwedge.html
The cheap ones used some tricked up "C" clamps. There is at least a lap or spline joint going on here, or you have just done a 45 degree cut, and nailed/glued it together. The clamp just keeps it square while the glue sets up.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

When combined with the outer portion it applies pressure to the individual boards.
It's basically a variation on these:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p1165&cat=1,43838 http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p1166&cat=1,43293 http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyIDB50 http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyIDB49
Chris
So it doesnt draw the joint together like a band clamp will? ( I know it doesnt claim that)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

No. Its purpose is to hold the joint square rather than draw it together.
Chris
Ok thanks. Doesn't seem very useful, I remember years ago I had some of those Pony corner clamps and they were not of much use either Joe
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I actually prefer these (and well cut joints) for miter assembly: <http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/clamps_vises/maestro/m1201_clamp-all.htm?L+coastest+xqfk8325fff2e7f2+1139054926
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

<http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/clamps_vises/maestro/m1201_clamp-all.htm?L+coastest+xqfk8325fff2e7f2+1139054926
Don't those leave divots in the wood?
Chris
Chris Fries en wrote:

Very tiny ones. If they're a problem, small rubber pads are available.
They're terrific.
Barry
Barry:
How do you deal with the divots that are made by the clamp?

--
Joseph Connors
The New Golden Rule:

That's always been my question about these clamps. Maybe use double-stick tape to put some sacrificial wood pads under the clamp? But they are never shown that way. Of course, if you were planning to plane or sand after assembly, the marks might be shallow enough to get removed?

Joseph Connors wrote:

With the little rubber suction cups that are in the picture.
Usually the divots are so small they're easily filled with finish.
Barry
Barry:
Thanks! I think I'll give them a try.
B a r r y wrote: