Can a shop have too much lighting?

Page 3 of 4

My taste in music isn't quite _that_ catholic.
Now, "Harvey and Sheila", on the other hand....
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:37:09 +1000, "Greg Millen"

well, at least you keep your sense of humour about it...
I have a 16x24 basement shop I just finished off. Painted the floor an off white and the walls a semi-gloss white. I then put in 12 4' double bulb shop lights. Almost needed sunglasses to go in there. When I put all the stuff in the shop it absorbed some light and now it's perfect. BTW: 8 of the fixtures run right down the middle, side by side. The other 4 are against the wall near the main tool to cut down on, or eliminate, shadows. Working great for me.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comxxx (Mike) wrote in message

If you need to wear an SPF 30 sunblock, you might have too much light in the shop.
If your electrical utility calls and asks you to go in and watch TV for a while so the steel fabrication shop down the highway can get some welding done, you might have too much light in the shop.
If the neighbors are complaining about the glare, and it's noon on a sunny July day, you might have too much light in the shop.
If you can hear the fluttering of the moths while using your shaper, you might have too much light in the shop.
If you find you're really comfortable wearing welders' goggles while turning pens on your Jet Mini, you might have too much light in the shop.
If the rest of the neighborhood blacks out when you turn on the lights, you might have too much light.
If the state has to build a new power plant just for you, you might have too much light.
Wayne
P.S. I have 2 8' lights with two tubes each, and 4 4' lights with 2 tubes each in a two car garage and on occassion still find myself trying to find a place that has better light .

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:53:51 GMT, "NoOne N Particular"

If the Utility Company Executive that lives next door, comes home with a new bass boat, you might...
Dave Balderstone wrote: mucho snippage...
If the cops come knocking on your door and want to check (cheque David) the basement for illegal farming activity, you might have too much light in the shop.
UA100
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:31:46 -0600, Dave Balderstone

If the Mounties raid your shop thinking it's a marijuana grow operation, you might have too much light in the shop.

Wasn't that the EPA and an oak-fuming op?
;-)

with 10

overhead
lamp HO

electrician
shop?
Hi Mike. Well - I'm going to go against the grain a bit. I believe you can install too much light. I'm in my 50's and I need more light every year, but not all light is created equal. I don't find that having more ceiling light is always the best answer. I'm finding I need more and more task lighting and that the addition of more ceiling light is not the answer. If I were you I'd go with less ceiling light and more provisions for task lighting. Ceiling light suffers from shadows and reflections and there's not much you can do about that. With task lighting you can control those two issues. I'd go with providing for a well lit shop - probably not far from what your electrician is suggesting, and then augment that in the areas where I need it. Use multiple switches and switch your lights in banks as other posters have suggested.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
On 15 Oct 2004 10:25:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comxxx (Mike) wrote:

What about tinted safety glasses?

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comxxx (Mike) wrote:

I realize you've probly already gotten the answer you were looking for, but...
There is or was a guy here on the group by the name of Lew Hodgett who used to spec lighting for commercial applications, if I recall correctly. Your question has come up many times in the past and Lew has provided the figures and formulas to calculate the appropriate quantity of watts for a shop. Here's a link to a google search on lew and lighting - you might find some helpful info here:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=lighting&safe=images&ie=ISO-8859-1 & oe=ISO-8859-1&as_ugroup=rec.woodworking&as_uauthors=lew%20hodgett&lr=&hlen>
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."

with 10

overhead
lamp HO

electrician
shop?
It does not sound like enough to me! In my 24 x 38 foot shop I have 24 4" floresants, 6 100 watt incandesants, and two 300 halogen fixtures. When I get serious they are all on! Greg
Mike wrote:

I don't see how. I've got 18 four foot 40 watt tubes in mine plus a double flood light with a motion sensor in my two car garage / workshop. My shop is lit up like a classroom. Sure makes things easier when I work at night.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
If you're getting a tan, you might have too much light.     j4
I had qty 9, 8' dual tube fl. fixtures and one 4' dual tube fixture (HO, cold start, high-end elec.ballast etc. etc. etc.. CRI of the bulbs was 92) in my 20x20 shop. They were divided into two switched sets; one with 4, the other had 6. I also had four skylights in there. The lights were all on all the time I was in there. (pics at "old shop" at URL below). I'd do it again. I still used "task" lighting on the bandsaw etc as well. Your Electrician simply doesn't want to hang the lights...mine didn't either. I did it. Did I say I'd do it again? <g!>
Good luck Rob
--

http://www.robswoodworking.com

"Mike" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.comxxx> wrote in message
On 15 Oct 2004 10:25:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comxxx (Mike) wrote:

Nope.
On 15 Oct 2004 10:25:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comxxx (Mike) wrote:

The machine shop where I work had a surplus in our maintenance budget many years ago. Our then-general manager took it upon himself to 'upgrade' the lighting in the building, which was in excess of 20,000 sq. ft. The former lighting was continuous rows of 2-lite 8ft. flourescents spaced about 6 feet apart on the 13 foot high ceiling He directed the electricians to add more rows between the existing ones, yielding rows 3 ft. apart. The machine operators all wear baseball caps indoors now to shield their eyes from the glare. Our shop is located across the street from the local electrical supply store, and the owner, who I must say had to be thankful for our 'upgrade', said, "Geeze! Why didn't you just take the roof off the building?" We've also discovered that it costs more to dispose of used flourescent tubes than to buy new ones.
Tom Flyer
--==-- wrote:

Why? Just break them. They'll take up no space at all. <G>