Can a shop have too much lighting?

Wasn't that the EPA and an oak-fuming op?

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Mine are hanging on chains. They only hum when they're first turned on and continue to hum for a while if it's really cold out there. Once they've warmed up, the hum goes away. Truthfully, I'm only aware of the hum when I first turn them on in the winter months.

Trust me, my lights are as cheap as they come: double four foot fixtures for about $7.50 each. Plenty bright if you get enough of them.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Acktually, I disagree. Once upon a time I needed to weld an axle back on a trolley, whilst doing so my face shield came off.

Trust me on this - too much light is not a good thing.

Reply to
Greg Millen

The machine shop where I work had a surplus in our maintenance budget many years ago. Our then-general manager took it upon himself to 'upgrade' the lighting in the building, which was in excess of 20,000 sq. ft. The former lighting was continuous rows of 2-lite 8ft. flourescents spaced about 6 feet apart on the 13 foot high ceiling He directed the electricians to add more rows between the existing ones, yielding rows 3 ft. apart. The machine operators all wear baseball caps indoors now to shield their eyes from the glare. Our shop is located across the street from the local electrical supply store, and the owner, who I must say had to be thankful for our 'upgrade', said, "Geeze! Why didn't you just take the roof off the building?" We've also discovered that it costs more to dispose of used flourescent tubes than to buy new ones.

Tom Flyer

Reply to
--={Flyer}=--

Why? Just break them. They'll take up no space at all.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I'm not up to date on the new regulations, but there are regulations for disposal. The lamps contain heavy metal and should not just be trashed.

Edwin Pawlowski

100 kg of regulated waste of the category in which fluorescent lamps fall per month you're not subject to the regulations and can just send it to the landfill, and second, that only lamps that fail the "TCLP" test are regulated. Fluorescents that pass that test are marked with green endcaps--the Phillips "Alto" brand was the first but I believe there are others.

The Vermont regulations referenced in the second item are more stringent than the Federal, and miss the point which is that by encouraging the use of low-mercury fluorescent lights environmental mercury can be reduced by reducing power consumption and thus mercury release at power plants--at least that seems to have been the EPA's reasoning. By having unreasonable disposal requirements Vermont discourages the use of energy-efficient lighting.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm guess that you're installing them flush or maybe recessed? If so, that makes a difference on how much light you throw and where you throw it... Also, if you use plastic deflectors (I threw mine away), they cut the light considerably..

I still hang all my fixtures when I can.. I like to put them up sort of temporarily, and do a project or two... they get moved a lot for a while.. lol

Reply to
mac davis

Err... They contain mercury and phosphors that are bad for you and the ground water. This is one reason that T-8 bulbs are being required in commercial establishments. They use less power for equivalent light, and have reduced mercury and phosphor content. Electronic ballasts, and 0 degree starting temps are added benefits.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

GREAT idea!!! my normal garage light switch is in the family room, and I usually enter the shop through the garage door... meaning a bit of stumbling to find a switch in the middle of the garage...

I have a sensor and will add it (and a 60w bulb) today... THANKS!!

Reply to
mac davis

We do and will continue to do so.

Reply to
CW

Most of us do.

As a kid, we used to play with mercury, now if a drop is spilled in a school lab, they will evacuate the school and have a hazmat crew come to clean it up.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I remember vividly a kid in my chemistry class swallowing a blob of mercury. The teacher didn't think it was anything to worry about (she had been involved in the Manhattan Project--she knew her stuff--wasn't ignorance). With him it was kind of hard to tell whether it had any effect--this was the '60s and the '60s were _very_ good to him.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
Bruce Farley

Only when the wood starts to smoke... Also Mike Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me. "I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

Reply to
Mike Patterson

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:21:55 -0400, "J. Clarke" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

No. Just such a lofty idea of what "mattered" that little mercury was drop in the ocean!

I can remember my old man (worked in a lab) giving me a bottle of mercury to play with...silvering mirrors, making little switches and such for fun. Little worry or warning. But then we had teachers who used to drop sodium in water while we all stood and watched (no glasses), and dry white phosphorus in the sun on the verandah outside the classroom....those were the days.

***************************************************** Have you noticed that people always run from what they _need_ toward what they want?????
Reply to
Old Nick

"whilst"???

Showing off that edukashun again? :)

Reply to
patrick conroy

I think "whilst" is one of those words that sadly is no longer used much in the US. Along with the likes of "shan't", "mustn't", and "whence."

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

This is the internet, I'm from Australia. We still use "whilst", "colour", "neighbour" and "aluminium".

We're just a bit backward, in fact, we still have black and white traffic lights, and the kangaroos run amok in the suburbs.

Give us time and we'll manage to bastardise the language almost as well as you .

Reply to
Greg Millen

I don't remember exactly which regulation we have to adhere to, but it's one of those ISO yada yada government-mandated-if-you-want-work-you-gotta-follow-our-rules things. ISO14000, ISO14001...whatever. The lamps are on 24/6 and every week there's a new crop of dead tubes in the storage rack. The guy that comes to pick them up always has a cat-that-ate-the-canary look on his face, plus the electricians, who are under contract to us have bought new trucks the past three years. I'm in the wrong line of work - :)

Tom Flyer

Reply to
--={Flyer}=--