Can a board be unwarped?

I ripped a piece of nice flat luan into quarters to use as a frame. Three of the the pieces are as flat as the board they came from, but the fourth is badly bowed. I clamped it in an opposite bow for a week, and that took about half the bow out of it. Any way to get the rest out?

Reply to
toller

Only way I can think of is to use steam.

Bruce

Reply to
lehmann

Board that warp quickly can be dangerous when sawing, they just seem to have a mind of there own. I usually just get rid of them, or cut it up for small projects.

Reply to
rickluce

I just read in an old textbook tonight a way to straighten it. Put the concave side down. Put a wet towel under it. Put a heatlamp on the top (convex) side.

I have no idea how that is supposed to work, but that's what it says.

Joe

Reply to
splinter

Y'know, it just might have to do with moisture content. Moisture will swell the wood on one side, and removal through heat on the other will contract it. Another way is to lay it on the lawn on a hot summer day. One side will draw moisture, and the other will heat up and contract.

Reply to
Guess who

P.S. Any striaghtening will nto be perfect, so a good plan, if on shorter pieces, is to tack to a bit of MDF with hot glue, and run through the planer to get one side flat, then remove and turn over to do the other side.

Reply to
Guess who

The short answer is: No. You can fart with it till the cows come home and it will still be warped. Save the time and aggrivation amd get another board. Rabbit

Reply to
Joe Mama