Can 9-ply baltic birch be steam bent for skateboard?

Before any of you laugh at my question, let me say that it's NOT for me, it's for my 11 year-old son.

I need to know two things. First, will baltic birch take the kind of bending needed to make a replacement top for a skateboard? And, second, will it *probably* be able to endure the flexing and knocks required of a skateboard? TIA

Gerry

Reply to
G.E.R.R.Y.

NO and NO.

9 ply is very stable and birch goes to hell if it gets wet.
Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Most modern skateboards contain some sort of carbon laminate to increase strength and rigidity, too. Unfortunately, this is one of those projects where you may be better off buying.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

Only if your aim is to have the glue fail so you can laminate up the separate layers in a shaped jib.

Reply to
Mike G

rockler sells a skateboard "blank" John

Reply to
Quadindad2

yeah, that's it! now all you need is a vacuum press. bob

Reply to
Minorite

Glue up the plywood, then cut the profile with a bandsaw

John

Reply to
John

The cut offs can then be used as trim or edging on other projects.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This might cause performance problems, due to flexibility and stiffness falling in wrong places.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson