Camping Table Plans?

--------------------------------------------------- Neat

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That looks like a nice workable solution

Is there some way to connect the pieces, (short pieces of Chain? ) so when you get to the campsite you will be sure to have all of the pieces?

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Keith,

My initial plan was to sew up a cloth bag I could use to store and protect the pieces. I'm not sure if I'll take the time to do that or not.

I also thought about wrapping the collapsed bundle with a couple of straps to hold them together. I suppose your could use that plastic wrap they wrap pallet loads with if you have some handy.

Another option might be to stick velcro to all of the pieces so they could simply stick together.

For now, I already have a storage container that I keep other camping supplies in (tent stakes, tarp, etc.). There's plenty of room to store the four base panels in the container, then I can set the table top on the lid of the container.

There's only five panels total, so it's pretty easy to keep it all together.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

-------------------------------------------------- SFWIW, I used to go to the fabric store and buy a couple of yards of the ugliest awning fabric I could find and then sew up duffle bags.

Each person who was crewing on the boat that week would than have their own uniquely colored bag for their "stuff".

Going to weather in a pitching boat at 0400 on a pitch black night, you appreciate being able to find something with the aid of a unique color duffle bag.

The fabric was almost always a "Rem" which meant cheap and the sewing was simple.

A designated duffle for this table would be straight forward.

BTW, forgot to mention, might want to break the corners of the table top to say 1/2" radius.

The corners would not then get hung up in the duffle bag.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew,

Yep. I've done my share of sewing from upholstery for my car, to a bath robe for my wife. A tote bag would be a no-brainer.

The only catch is that I bought my wife a new sewing machine, and so far she hasn't let me use it. She told me I had to use the old broken one. :)

I'm not sure why I didn't round over the top corners like I did the stretchers. No biggy. I don't think it would be a problem though, as I rounded over all edges of the panels so there's no sharp edges to catch on anything.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Mike,

Funny, I bought my wife a Janomi sewing machine for her birthday last year. Our daughter has actually used it more than my wife, but she really likes it so far.

Our old machine was a Singer model that was passed down from my mom. The thing is built like a tank and weighs about as much. It's at least 30 years old, if not older. Over time the alignment or something got off on it, the needle doesn't always line up, the footer doesn't always work right, etc. My wife says I broke it sewing through my thick upholstery materials. I say nonsense, let me at that Janomi! :)

I haven't sewn anything for the last few years, but I do need to do some uphostery work and make a new shift boot for my car. A bag for the camp table would be a good refresher project to learn the new sewing machine. :)

Anthony Watson

HerHusband