Cameilia oil on hand tools

I've been using Camelia oil on my hand tools for a few years now to protect them from rust. I've noticed that some tools which I've treated with the oil and have had in storage for many months develop a sticky, brownish waxy film on which is fairly difficult to remove. Has anyone had this happen before using Camelia oil? I'm wondering if I am applying it to heavily, or doing something else wrong with its application.

- MB

Reply to
somewildmonkey

I believe that this oil is used as a skin moisturizer, but I'm guessing.

If it is indeed Camellia oil, clean with Kerosene.

I'd use light machine oil instead of Camellia oil for protection.

-nick

Reply to
Nicky

I've noticed that some tools which I've

Camellia oil is a naturally occuring oil (from a nut that grows in china) that contains about 10% linseed oil. So, the sticky film is probably the linseed oil starting to harden. Once that hardens, it is tough to dissolve. Maybe some type of paint stripper?

Reply to
MB

"MB" wrote in news:1170816624.653180.194960 @k78g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I don't understand. Linseed oil comes from a Chinese nut?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Ah, those madcap Mings are at it again.

Tung firmly in cheek, but never in check....

Reply to
George

I've never heard of camellia oil containing linseed, although the typical toolshop retail grade of it is a scented fish oil. If you want the genuine camellia, try Chinese hairdressing supplies. The fishy stuff is great for hot oil bluing though.

I've never noted camellia (either sort) going gummy either. It does do so after a couple of years on the paper lining the bottom of my oil case, but that's a pathological example. certainly not for rational coatings on steel.

Reply to
Andy Dingley