came across a van gogh drawing of a carpenter

there is a drawing by van gogh of a carpenter what is interesting is that the carpenter's hands are disproportionately huge it struck me for a few different reasons

looks like he is using a mitre or tenon saw

i will let you look it up

still complain here if you have a link problem

Reply to
Electric Comet

No problem with the link at all.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

LOL.

"We can learn a lot about artists such as Vincent Van Gogh. (Show the pictu re of the Carpenter) As you can see, Vincent was an average artist when he was a kid and even up until he was 27. This picture shows how he drew hands too big and the man had too small of a head, and the body is off center. F or the first two years of this time, he taught himself how to draw. He coul d have threw up his arms and said, "I can't draw" and given up. Instead, he continued to practice."

The saw is obviously a Van Gogh saw.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

While this may not occur to someone who has spent their lives in the woodworking shop, some of the best place to learn about old woodworking techniques is the Art Museum. Some of the old paintings have some very detail pictures of old wood working tools and old woodworking shops.

Not only can you see how the cut and shaped the wood for furniture, but from the picture you can get an idea of some of the construction techniques of building house, carts, and ships.

A decade ago or so some one on this group asked the question about how long Biscuits have been used in carpentry.

I was surprised at his answer and did not believe it until I went to the Museum and saw they indeed used biscuits to hold the 3 to 4 thousand of years old Pharaohs sarcophagi together.

Reply to
knuttle

complaints only was the instruction

Reply to
Electric Comet

just like doctors and lawyers

but apparently he did give up but maybe later his real problem wasn't lack of skills but lack of sales although the skills were lacking unless you own one of his works then they are masterpieces

there was one on sale on ebay maybe it is one and the same

Reply to
Electric Comet

would make an interesting compendium to link all the woodworking related fine art paintings i would do it but for all the complaints about links

Reply to
Electric Comet

While it is not exactly what you mentioned you can find some pictures here

If you search Google for

"carpenters in the paintings"

It will turn many paintings.

However they are not the ones I remember.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

What complaints? What am I missing? Any complaints I see are if the link doesn't work, otherwise, post a damn link already and f*ck what anyone else complains about. Nobody is forcing them to open a link.

Reply to
Meanie

What are you talking about?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

you are not missing anything

there are some that like drama though

maybe it is meds or something

nobody is forcing you not to do your own search

Reply to
Electric Comet

Are you that much of a dumbass? Don't answer, we already know.

Reply to
Meanie

I thought they would have used a Domino. ;-)

Reply to
krw