calling all caul users

Page 1 of 3
just recently discovered cauls and would like to hear how people like them
they make sense to me and now i will go looking for construction methods to make my own
the curve is the key and it looks like it may be elliptical also they need to be hard + strong + smooth + durable
On 11/6/2015 2:59 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

I very seldom use them but will on occasion. Mine are simply a 1x4 or like material use on edge. Flat will work fine if you have a clamp every 24 inches or so. I will say that they do help to insure more even pressure and contact but in some cases are in the way of a 20+ clamp glue up.
I have given a lot of thought on the curved ones and IMHO the middle of the caul still exerts the most pressure so unless you are able to gauge the center pressure and bring the end pressure to equal that all along the distance it only replaces one clamp, the center one.
I could be dead wrong but I believer a straight caul along with a few less clamps would be just as good or better. Now if you only have a few clamps this might be a good option.
On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 15:23:13 -0600

if it is flat it is not a caul that is the whole point anyone that thinks that the curve is not significant is missing the entire point of a caul
people with years of experience are often wrong if they realize it then they become experts if not then they maybe they are still in pursuit of expertise
On 11/8/2015 11:37 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

You might want to look up the definition of a caul.
Better yet,
The surface of a press that makes contact with panel product, especially a removable plate or sheet. (woodworking) A strip or block of wood used to distribute or direct clamping force.

See above.

Correct but people with years of experience that use straight flat cauls get results that stand the test of time.
A caul merely insures more direct pressure in places that a clamp is not placed. There have been numerous articles as to how closely clamps should be placed on straight flat cauls.
AAMOF a curved caul could be a problem with a lightly built project if you are trying to insure the outer ends of the caul make contact.
On Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 12:37:47 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

That is just so wrong.

Oh boy, this oughta be good.
On Sun, 8 Nov 2015 11:13:07 -0800 (PST)

how is it wrong
a caul to me has to have a curved surface otherwise it is lumber
the entire advantage of a caul to me is that you can do with two clamps what normally would take many more
the caul might need to be customized based on caul material and the material to be clamped
On 11/8/15 2:26 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

A sentence has to have punctuation otherwise it is just words.
A curved caul is *one type* of caul. They don't all have curves.
--

-MIKE-

On Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 3:26:22 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

"To me" says it all.
Leon has already posted one definition of a caul. You should look it up yourself.
Look up straight caul vs. cambered or curved caul

If I take a 2 x 4 and put it between a top plate and sill plate, is it "lumber" or is it a stud. Actually, it's both. It's a stud made with lumber.
My point is this: what you use the lumber for is what it is. If you use a piece of lumber to keep a panel flat during a glue-up, it's a caul. A caul made with lumber.

Yep. I could use multiple clamps, one at each seam of a panel to keep it flat or I could use a straight caul and just a couple of clamps.

Yep, it could be a flat caul or a cambered caul.
On Sun, 8 Nov 2015 14:35:52 -0800 (PST)

indeed that is also the point i would not buy nor make a caul that was flat it would serve me no purpose
a curved one lets me do more with fewer clamps the cauls in the lee valley are all curved and their selling point is that you only need two clamps
On 11/9/2015 5:02 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

The voice of experience?.... ;~) I believe you have been sold.

The same can be done with a straight caul and, wait for it..... only 2 clamps.
On Monday, November 9, 2015 at 6:02:54 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

So the point is that as long as *you* have defined what an object is, that what it is, correct?
Remember, it was you that redefined what a caul is:
"a caul to me has to have a curved surface... "
Of course, what is actually factual shouldn't enter into the discussion, as long as *you* have decided what something is. I see.
How does having your own definition of things work out for you in everyday life?

On Monday, November 9, 2015 at 6:02:54 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015 17:22:39 -0800 (PST)

quite the dramatic flare you have
i do not need a flat caul
their existence is not relevant wrong or right is not important test of a true salesman is to sell ice cubes to eskimos and flat cauls to a woodworker
On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 19:51:48 -0800, Electric Comet

The point being that until a week ago you had no clue what a caul was. Yet, even though you've never so much as touched one, you know you don't need one and that no one else does, either.
On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 10:51:51 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

You are the one that said "if it's flat it's not a caul". I was merely checking (questioning) your authority to redefine objects that have been around and in use for a very long time. I was not aware that you had that power. Should I expect to see your new definition propagate it's way through published material as time goes on? Please let me know when that process begins.

I don't really care what a troll needs.

To you, no. To more knowledgable people, yes.

People often say that when they are flat (pun intended) out wrong.

It's a dishonest and sleazy salesman that sells ice cubes to Eskimos. Those who purchase (or produce) a flat and true piece of material for use as a caul have merely done their homework.
On Sat, 14 Nov 2015 05:57:58 -0800 (PST)

more drama
if you give anyone on the internet authority you are in trouble
On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 11:47:44 AM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

More trolling on your part.

I gave you no authority...twice. It is you that thinks you can just redefine an object simply because you *claim* you have no need for it.
Moving on...
On 11/13/2015 9:51 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

And a really good salesman will sell you a curved caul. Most any 2x4 has some curve to it, a flat one is rare.
On 11/14/15 8:08 AM, Leon wrote:

I call flat-n-straight 2x4s "pre-warped." If it's not curved at the store, it will be by the time you get it home. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 11/8/2015 2:26 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

That is because you do not know the true definition of a caul. They way you see it is not necessarily correct.

No, as previousely stated it helps to reduce the number of clamps.

Yeah, it has to be the relatively right size.

Well, that and it can allow you to put clamping pressure in a location out of reach of your clamps.
John