Call for a moderator of REC.WOODWORK

Page 4 of 6

What makes you think they'll be there?
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

Let's see-
Martin Luther King Desmond Tutu Mother Theresa
Yeah, they might annoy you when the time comes.
Dave Hall
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:50:46 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote:

This is a newsgroup about woodworking, hence other subject matter, be it religion or sexual practices, don't belong here. Now personally, I don't really care what anyone wants to believe, it's fine and dandy with me and I support their right to believe it, but you-know-who has been asked REPEATEDLY to change his SIG, stop spamming the newsgroup with his beliefs, etc. and he's ignored it entirely. That goes beyond simply wanting to believe and into wanting to preach, which should not be accepted without challenge.
I certainly didn't mean to imply that I didn't respect anyone's right to believe, I just don't respect one individuals methodolgy.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.verizon.net wrote:

Changing the *format* of his sig is IMO a legitimate request, and I hope he complies. Demanding that he change the *content* to suit others approaches uncomfortably close to censorship.
Despite what you say, Zoo isn't "spamming" the ng. And he's not about to change the *content* of his sig. In fact, complaining about the content is likely to make him all the more determined *not* to change it: "Blessed are you when they persecute and revile you, and utter every sort of calumny against you, for my sake" you see.
This ng isn't about politics, either. Are you as eager to complain about the blatantly political sigs of some of the regulars, as you are about Zoo's blatantly religious sig?

It *is* difficult to see how he hopes to win converts from amongst those whom he has alienated, I'll give you that.
Doug Miller agrees:

He probably went to the same school the spammers went to: piss people off enough times and they'll buy from you.
Charlie Self "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin - it's the triumphant twang of a bedspring." S. J. Perelman
[snip]

That *does* make a difference, actually. Sensible newsreaders recognize that as the beginning of a sig block, and don't quote that line or anything following it when replying to a post. And that's the problem that I have with Mike Z's posts.
codepath wrote:

What about Druids or other nature based religions, they have to do with wood(s).
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

David
discussions
taste.
codepath wrote:

You know, I was asked that by another person just the other day. I'll give you the same answer I gave him. I prefer to think of myself as a Primitive Animist. I have nothing against Wiccans, but I prefer not to be tied down to a dogma. Besides this view of the world can be argued on a specious scientific basis rather than on leaps of faith. ;-) Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Codepath wrote:

Addendum, I do have an in-law who died at Salem. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Mmmmm, tastes like Wiccan!
--
Impeach 'em ALL!

Do they weigh the same as a duck?
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

Dave Balderstone wrote:

The ones I've seen don't even walk like one. <G> Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Have you ever met a duck that weighed 200 pounds?
What wood was it made from?
Geez... Doesn't anyone 'round here watch Python?
;-)
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 23:09:07 -0600, Dave Balderstone
depths:

Lop off the legs, add a beak...oops, it turned into a parrot!
--
Impeach 'em ALL!
I got a pickup truck!!!
wrote in message

Huh? The WW gods carry wood and have bench seats?!? Well, shiver me timbers!
--
Impeach 'em ALL!
<snip of previous diatribes>

Hi, Peter,
If I can remember my Hamish Imlach, he had something to say on that score in "The Derry and Cumberland Boys":-
The Derry Boys are Roman Catholics Tae the Mass they've been once or twice, And Parkheid is their new Jerusalem, And Jock Stein's their latter-day Christ.
The Cumbie boys are devout Christians, They're awfy religious ye see, Their language it too is religious: "Oh ma Goad", "Jesus Christ", "FTP!"
When asked what they think o religion They'll say "Aw religions aw right" But these guys are only religious When they want an excuse for a fight
So don't wear a green scarf in Brigton Or a blue scarf in Cumberland Street Unless yer name's Mohammed Ali, Or yer helluva quick on yer feet!
I'd agree that a lot of it is simply tribal, but, equally, a lot of it in NI is down to organised crime - the Godfathers on both sides are doing quite nicely out of the Troubles. Nocht tae dae wi' releegion or Freedum Frae The Saxon Oppressor at a'.
For our friends in the US, remember that last bit when someone shaking a collection tin in a bar asks you to contribute to NORAID or the UVF....
< jock rock and political rant mode off>
Cheers
Frank

Lovely poem Frank thanks. I thought Noraid etc had gone the way of all things in the war on terrurrrr?
Peter