Call for a moderator of REC.WOODWORK

Page 3 of 6

the courtesy bit was me being a bit facetious Brian, the context had not passed me by.
Peter
To me:
religion = cult
But, that's just me.
However, consider the most public examples of those who profess and push there beliefs at us.
Jimmy Swaggart Jim and Tammy Faye Baker Pat Robertson Jerry Falwell
Doesn't this make you think that Heaven would be a very annoying place to be?
codepath
But I love Robert Tilton. He makes me laugh. I have a gag-reel of some of his funniest moments.
(Peter

Fortunately. :-)

might get the opposite impression.
Doug Miller writes:

Or not. All three of those are or were driven people, which sometimes make them less than a joy to be around.
Charlie Self "Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?" Lily Tomlin
On 10 Feb 2004 21:25:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

The only reason I want to go to heaven is that I figger it'll be less crowded.
No lawyers or politicians either.
Art

Wood Butcher responds:

Damned few preachers and priests, either.
Charlie Self "Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?" Lily Tomlin
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:14:03 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote:

She prolly thought you said "reincarcerated".
brought forth from the murky depths:

And maybe free of those bloody hayseuss freaks like Zoo?
--
Impeach 'em ALL!

Which is why the church has changed its mind on: celibate priests, the truth of heliocentrism, papal infallibility, the divinity of Mary, and recently even evolution.
Meanwhile western society has decided that loving, consensual relationships between adults are just fine, not going to church on the sabbath will not result in terrible things, just more snuggle time with your consenting adult partner on Sunday mornings. Also that saying 'god will provide' does not alleviate the poverty caused by too many mouths to feed, so planning those mouths makes sense.
So iow the church does change its mind on what is right and true and as for moral, recent revelations on covering up paedophile priests, all around the world have rather dented any moral authority.
Peter
(Peter Ashby) wrote:

Priestly celibacy is a practice in certain parts of the Catholic Church, most predominantly in the Roman Rite. It forms *no*part* of Church *doctrine*, that is, the Church's teaching on faith and morals. Other Rites within the Catholic Church allow their priests to marry.
Heliocentrism likewise is not part of the Church's teaching on faith and morals, and never was.
The Church has *always* taught that the pronouncements of the Pope on matters of faith are infallible. That has never changed.
The Church neither teaches nor believes that Mary is in any way divine, and it never has.
Evolution, like heliocentrism, is not and never has been any part of the Church's teaching on faith and morals. And the only change in the Church's position on evolution has been from a "wait and see" attitude a hundred years ago, to the statement by the Pope a few years ago that evolution by natural selection is not in conflict with Church doctrine. Simply summarized, the Church's position in this regard is that the Bible says God created the earth and everything in it, but doesn't specify exactly how, nor how long it took. Those are questions of science, not of faith and morals.

I have noticed that you have changed the terms under discussion. Nowhere above did you restrict the point to the church's teachin on faith and morals. If you are going to redefine the subject in order to defend something then I will have to conclude there is no point in engaging in debate with you.
Peter
Seeing how this thread has "migrated" in topic, now I feel like we _do_ need a moderator!
--
gabriel

(Peter Ashby) wrote:

"changed its mind" in regard to the divinity of Mary, or on papal infallibility). I notice you snipped my comments in regard to those two.
You raised those claims in response to my statement that what's right and moral and true doesn't change -- that's the mission of the Church, to teach us what's right and moral and true. Anything outside of that, is outside the scope of the Church.
Such a debate is waaaay OT here anyway, and I think it's past time to give it a rest. If you'd like to continue by private email, my addy is in my sig below.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) writes:

And what gives the [Catholic] church the right to define what is "moral and true"?
How were the Inquisition or the Crusades "moral and true"?
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk says...

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Doug Miller wrote:

Interesting.
As a child I was taught that worshiping statues was wrong. I learned of Christians and other followers of the Holy Trinity smashing idols and other figures prayed to in savage and heathen cultures.
Then I go to a Catholic church and see people praying to statues. Specifically those of Mary.
And now you say she is in no way divine? Never has been?
I guess it's ok to pray to statues as long as their Catholic statues.
And lets not forget, celibacy came about to protect Church property.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
"Mark" wrote in message

Hey, as a hungry kid I was damn well guaranteed a place in hottest Hell every time I ate meat on Friday when there was nothing else at the public school cafeteria ... then suddenly one day it was OK, and all that childhood angst was for nought!
And to think of the countless hours we kids spent mandatorily praying those poor souls out of purgatory, not to mention the cost of lighting all those damn candles so Father Brady could smoke Cuban cigars and feed his Tennesee Walking horse alfalfa.
That's about the time I figured that organized religion being the sole guarantor of my salvation was a crock.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/05/04
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:26:39 -0600, Swingman wrote:

My revelation was at a church summer camp when I was about 10 years old. One of the neighborhood kids conned me into going to this week long camp. Praying morning, noon and night wasn't what got me so much as when the neighborhood kid came forward and said he found it and was reborn. I thought "Great!" as he was the rottenest little SOB around. What really turned me off was the constant pressure for the rest of the kids to do the same. Turned out being reborn didn't change him at all. That was my "crock" moment.
-Doug

is not worthwhile?
I don't think so. I know too many people whose lives were radically changed to think that.
Sorry that you had the misfortune to encounter one of the others. There are unfortunately all too many of them.