Call for a moderator of REC.WOODWORK

Page 2 of 6
On 09 Feb 2004 18:06:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:
|Mike Zuchick states: | |>-- |>In His Name, be Blessed,|> |>I think it is about time for a Moderator for this Group. Anyone agree?|> |>God Bless,| |Not unless we get one that doesn't allow religous expression.
Amen ;)
Are you guys saying that "Nibble my nipples" isn't a regular poster to the wreck??? And here I was pissed that they forgot to put OT in front of their post...
On a serious note, please keep the religion out of it - it's almost as annoying as "Munch my Meat" and his post about his "uncut penis head". (He's a regular poster though, right?)
Ben

He's a regular *sumpthin*, that's for sure!
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

On 09 Feb 2004 18:06:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

The Zoo Chick's posts would be the first to be moderated. [He IS consistent (totally irrational) in his thoughts, eh?]
--
Impeach 'em ALL!

the cardiology newsgroup with religious rantings :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

When do you start?

TROLL TROLL TROLL you boat....man a lot of troll bait these days...
oops i fed another one... my bad (Sorry dave)
Myx
<g> anyone who gives Zuchick (alias Mike the Zealot) a "BAD" time is alright with me!
dave
Myxylplyk wrote:

First off, Mike, fix the way you post -- put the body of your post *above* your sig so it gets quoted properly when someone replies.
Second, no, I don't think it's time for a moderator. There's so much diversity of opinion here on the ON-topic issues that get people wound up (SawStop, for example), to say nothing of the OFF-topic ones, that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to find a sufficiently impartial, objective individual to serve as moderator.
Third, there have been dozens, if not hundreds, of posts in the last six or eight months describing various methods of filtering out the garbage. I don't see any of the crap _at_all_ unless I look at Nfilter's "dropped articles" list. I suggest you give Nfilter a try. It will make your newsgroup experience much more pleasant.
FWIW, I wish Google would fix their "Safe Search" filtering so it looks at the *titles* of the posts as well as their content. As it stands, a post with an offensive title and innocuous content passes the filter. I've complained to Google about this, but so far to no avail.
Leslie Gossett wrote:

LOL! Very true. The only way I can think of is when someone already has a reader configured and then the kid stumbles on by accident. Anyway, the age of raising kids oblivious of every evil in the world is pretty much gone.
--
gabriel

I invoke Formosa's Law.
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/F/Formosas-Law.html
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

right on!
dave
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

15 months ago is before my time here. Is there some difference between Christmas ornaments & funeral expenses that I'm missing? <g> A bunch of ornaments were made & given away...
-- Mark
Mark Jerde asks:

To me. The difference is, I didn't ask for them, in Christ's name or any other.
Charlie Self "Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?" Lily Tomlin
codepath wrote:

For what it's worth, the double dash _is_ part of the NNTP standard.
--
gabriel

The _actual_ standard is DASH-DASH-SPACE on a line with -nothing- else, as the delimiter for the start of the signature. The trailing 'space' *IS* important to most newsreader software.
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:13:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk (Peter Ashby) wrote:

It has nothing to do with courtesy, it has to do with someone's religious spam being tossed around a newsgroup where it doesn't belong, after he's been politely been asked to cut it out, or at least modify it to follow the posting standard. Mike doesn't give a damn what anyone else thinks.
Brian Henderson responds:

I believe you'er right. And there's absolutely no problem with him no tgiving a damn for my opinon, but that does not give him the right to keep shoving his expressions at me, or at others who don't care to hear them. Whether or not I agree with his religious beliefs is immaterial. I do not like proselytizing in any shape or form--and, yes, I know that goes against the grain of some kinds of Christianity. Tough. Stay off my porch and out of my face and we'll get along. Keep getting in my face with your problems, and you will quickly understand that I refuse to make those problems mine. And I firmly believe that anyone with as controlling a nature as M.Z. has some big league problems.
Charlie Self "Why isn't there a special name for the tops of your feet?" Lily Tomlin
On 10 Feb 2004 19:25:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

The entire problem with this, at least in my opinion, is that you have one person who wants to preach in-channel, telling everyone else that he wants to control the content that everyone else sees because he's too lazy to learn how to use a killfile.
Does that about sum it up? ;)
Brian Henderson writes:

Yup. There's madness in his method.
Charlie Self "Love is not the dying moan of a distant violin - it's the triumphant twang of a bedspring." S. J. Perelman