Cafe doors:

Hi woodies a question about making doors . The wife wants to install saloon type swinging doors I went on line and found they are about 140.00$ 30x44 inches seems a bit high . I was wondering if a fellow could make them ,or if it would be more effort than worth?
Sal

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&pF438&cat=3,41241
"sal" wrote:

Once finished the basement using standard window louvered shutters as cafe doors.
Door casings were painted gloss black, cafe doors were fire engine red.
Floor was red shag rug.
Looked like an old time saloon straight out of Gunsmoke.
Used standard millwork soft woods suitable for painting.
What material are you being quoted for $140?
If you want louvered, would not even think about making my own.
Remember the NYW project?
Special molding cutters, jigs and fixtures up the kazoo.
Starts making $140 look like a steal.
Lew

Hell yes... I just spent 140 just thinking about it...
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Unless one wants them of walnut. Ot mahogany, maple, butternut, hickory, oak or anything else that doesn't cry out to be painted. ___________

One can make very nice louvered doors with nothing more than a saw (table or radial arm) and a palm sander. A drum sander helps too but isn't totally needed. No jigs/fixtures necessary.
--

dadiOH
sal wrote:

All the points made were good, but one was overlooked. How much would it be worth to "you" to be able to say, "I made those?" The actual constuction would not be too difficult. Norm made a jig for cutting the slat mortises on a louvered door that should be easy enough to find. After you build the jig, it should be a piece of cake.
Deb

not hard to make but have you priced the bommer hinges you will need? OUCH!!!!!
skeez