CAD program?

Anyone know of a cheap, (freeware?), drafting program? Nothing fancy, I just want something simple to layout cuts on sheet of plywood before cutting, and similar tasks.

Reply to
Greg O

Greg O wrote: > Anyone know of a cheap, (freeware?), drafting program? Nothing fancy, I > just want something simple to layout cuts on sheet of plywood before > cutting, and similar tasks.

A couple of sheets of graph paper and a pair of scissors.

Fast, cheap, simple, and foolproof.

(We used to call it "making paper dolls" in our industrial engineering plant layout classes)

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Google Sketch Up should do the job

Reply to
Hugh

Fine, but too cheap, and not geeky enough! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Picky, Picky.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You may really be looking for an optimization program vs. a drafting program. If you know the sizes you want and want a program to determine the best way to get the most out of a piece of plywood or board, you probably want something like Sheetlayout or Cutlist Plus.

Both programs come in affordable versions and both IIRC have a trial version.

Reply to
Leon

Anyone know of a cheap, (freeware?), drafting program? Nothing fancy, I just want something simple to layout cuts on sheet of plywood before cutting, and similar tasks.

Reply to
David Harper

I like "Sketchup" from Google. It's easy and fun and free. It was $500 until bought it and made it public.

AKA gray asphalt

It still is in that price range. The version they give away is somewhat stripped down. Good enough to mess with but not for professional use.

Reply to
CW

It's not really stripped down. All of the tools are there but you can't print at higher than screen resolution or export obj files or other formats, but it is good enough for the kind of project mentioned above, I guess. One cool thing is that you can export files that integrate with google earth, ie can be uploaded and seen on GEarths interface.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

CAD program? Group: rec.woodworking Date: Tue, Jun 26, 2007, 8:30pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Greg=A0O) did query thusly: Anyone know of a cheap, (freeware?), drafting program? Nothing fancy, I just want something simple to layout cuts on sheet of plywood before cutting, and similar tasks.

Yep. Very versitile, cheap too.

If a man does his best, what else is there?

- General George S. Patton

Reply to
J T

Wed, Jun 27, 2007, 3:18am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Lew=A0Hodgett) di sayeth: Picky, Picky.

Requires too much operator input.

JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there?

- General George S. Patton

Reply to
J T

Linux has it all and its free, best of all.

Reply to
d2e2

Except that the free CAD offerings for Linux are pretty limited.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Free programs: CutList -

SketchUp -
no.spam. to email

Greg O wrote:

Reply to
JeffB

the General Cadd, lower on the page.

Pop`

JeffB wrote:

Reply to
Pop`

Alibre express is waaaaaay too tough to learn unless you are going to do some serious designing. Same with Sketchup in my humble opinion.

Free, 2D, Scalable, Easy to Learn, and upgrading to pro is only $30 bux.

Drum roll, CadStd

or
(Same site, just different addresses)

Reply to
Mr P

My favotite!

DesignCAD

cavelamb himself

"Mr P" wrote in news:scRti.1819$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

I'll second, and mention that the Pro version is worth the money. While the free version is very much functional, the Pro version makes things so much easier. If you're familiar with pencil and paper drafting, CadStd will take maybe 30 minutes to get used to.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Anybody know a good 3D CAD program for Linux? I've looked at Varicad, it looks promising but expensive. Turbocad won't load using Cross-Over (Wine)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita