CAD program?

Page 1 of 2
Anyone know of a cheap, (freeware?), drafting program? Nothing fancy, I just want something simple to layout cuts on sheet of plywood before cutting, and similar tasks.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Greg O wrote: > Anyone know of a cheap, (freeware?), drafting program? Nothing fancy, I > just want something simple to layout cuts on sheet of plywood before > cutting, and similar tasks.
A couple of sheets of graph paper and a pair of scissors.
Fast, cheap, simple, and foolproof.
(We used to call it "making paper dolls" in our industrial engineering plant layout classes)
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–

Fine, but too cheap, and not geeky enough! Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–
Greg O wrote:
> > Fine, but too cheap, and not geeky enough!
Picky, Picky.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
Wed, Jun 27, 2007, 3:18am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Lew Hodgett) di sayeth: Picky, Picky.
Requires too much operator input.
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton
Add pictures here
βœ–
Google Sketch Up should do the job

Add pictures here
βœ–

You may really be looking for an optimization program vs. a drafting program. If you know the sizes you want and want a program to determine the best way to get the most out of a piece of plywood or board, you probably want something like Sheetlayout or Cutlist Plus.
www.sheetlayout.com
www.cutlistplus.com
Both programs come in affordable versions and both IIRC have a trial version.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Greg
Have you heard of Alibre Express. It is a Free , it is a 3D solid modeling program that also does 2d.
I have tinkered with it,I use AutoCAD2006 and Acad Inventer10 at work, and was just experimenting with it.
It is a parametric modeling / drafting program , the express is a free download.
http://www.alibre.com/xpress/software/alibre-design-xpress.asp
know of a cheap, (freeware?), drafting program? Nothing fancy, I just <BR>want something simple to layout cuts on sheet of plywood before cutting, and <BR>similar tasks. <BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–
I like "Sketchup" from Google. It's easy and fun and free. It was $500 until bought it and made it public. www.sketchup.com

Add pictures here
βœ–

until
It still is in that price range. The version they give away is somewhat stripped down. Good enough to mess with but not for professional use.
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's not really stripped down. All of the tools are there but you can't print at higher than screen resolution or export obj files or other formats, but it is good enough for the kind of project mentioned above, I guess. One cool thing is that you can export files that integrate with google earth, ie can be uploaded and seen on GEarths interface.
Add pictures here
βœ–
CAD program? Group: rec.woodworking Date: Tue, Jun 26, 2007, 8:30pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Greg O) did query thusly: Anyone know of a cheap, (freeware?), drafting program? Nothing fancy, I just want something simple to layout cuts on sheet of plywood before cutting, and similar tasks.
Yep. Very versitile, cheap too.
http://www.mrx.no/albums/stilllife/Pencil.sized.jpg
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton
Add pictures here
βœ–
Greg O wrote:

Linux has it all and its free, best of all.
Add pictures here
βœ–
d2e2 wrote:

Except that the free CAD offerings for Linux are pretty limited.
--John
βœ–
Free programs: CutList - http://www.delphiforfun.org/Programs/CutList.htm Google SketchUp - http://sketchup.google.com / -- JeffB remove no.spam. to email
Greg O wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
http://www.caddprimer.com/cad_software_vendors/cad_cam_general_purpose.htm See the General Cadd, lower on the page.
Pop`
JeffB wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
Alibre express is waaaaaay too tough to learn unless you are going to do some serious designing. Same with Sketchup in my humble opinion.
Free, 2D, Scalable, Easy to Learn, and upgrading to pro is only $30 bux.
Drum roll, CadStd http://www.apperson.org/cadstd/ or http://www.cadstd.com/ (Same site, just different addresses)

Add pictures here
βœ–
Mr P wrote:

My favotite!
DesignCAD
http://designcadunleashed.com /
Add pictures here
βœ–
LOL, that website for designcad is busier than a dog at a flea circus. Just curious, but how much is the bare bones software?
Oh, and a good tutorial for the CadStd is here..... http://library.advanced.org/C0116628/lessons.htm

Add pictures here
βœ–

I'll second, and mention that the Pro version is worth the money. While the free version is very much functional, the Pro version makes things so much easier. If you're familiar with pencil and paper drafting, CadStd will take maybe 30 minutes to get used to.
Puckdropper

βœ–