CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

Some of us have to work to .00005" or smaller.

Shrug

__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

Reply to
Gunner Asch

True indeed.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If you can visualize the part you want to make, a pencil is all you need to capture it. The designers of this didn't need no stinkin CAD:

If you can't create it in your head then CAD won't help you. It doesn't recognise your conceptual errors. I've embarrassed a few engineers by pointing out why I couldn't make what they had drawn.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Well even fewer of us work to .0000000000000000000000000000000000005" or smaller but that still does not mean you need a program to do that when .0001 is way more than enough.

Reply to
Leon

Professional version versus free version.

Presentation tools (Layout), dynamic components, and a handful of not really necessary solid modeling tools are not part of the Pro version.

Modeling functionality is otherwise identical.

Reply to
Swingman

Yep, that's when you bring out the right tool for the job. But apparently not necessary for the OP.

Reply to
Swingman

Obviously not, but with CAD it might not have taken 56 years to build either. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

That should be "not part of the FREE version.."

Reply to
Swingman

In wood?

Reply to
krw

Their problem wasn't just drafting, they didn't know how to combine lateral thrust vectors on the columns.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Cross posted to metalworking.

So yes...

Reply to
Richard

Im posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

Gunner

__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Like this one?

__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Thanks!

Ill check it out.

Gunner

__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

Reply to
Gunner Asch

The fact that it was cross-posted into "metalworking" made 50 microinch tolerances required for wood? These metal-heads are amazing!

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz fired this volley in news:uut199hh6700a357dmc7bjffvr5667kp2q@

4ax.com:

Thank you... we are! We can do woodworking more precisely than you can, too!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Once again, proving that you're simply amazing (i.e. simple and amazing).

Reply to
krw

Probably not.

Reply to
Leon

What would the value of the integral over (-infinity, infinity) of

1/(1+x^2) dx look like if you didn't express it as the Greek letter PI???? Even being in error by the amount above would make it that you bought it from Kmart--apologies to Kmart (and/or the Sears Holding Co.).

Reply to
Bill

Leon fired this volley in news:56- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

_I_ can, with woodworking tools. I built period reproductions of French Revival decorative furniture for about 20 years.

Except for a table saw, most of it with hand tools, per the authentic methods. Doing fit-ups to a thousanth is a must if joints were to be perfect. (and yes, I know about the growth of the wood, but some joints demand that precision)

No metal fasteners in them, either. Gauche'.

I can do dovetails you can't see a gap in by hand, too. Can you? I doubt it.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh