CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

Page 2 of 13
On 11/21/2013 11:22 AM, Richard wrote:

LOL
Good enough for AutoCAD, and certainly well within the specifications of the OP's original request. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Some of us have to work to .00005" or smaller.
Shrug
__ "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein
On 11/23/2013 4:00 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Well even fewer of us work to .0000000000000000000000000000000000005" or smaller but that still does not mean you need a program to do that when .0001 is way more than enough.
Leon wrote:

What would the value of the integral over (-infinity, infinity) of 1/(1+x^2) dx look like if you didn't express it as the Greek letter PI???? Even being in error by the amount above would make it that you bought it from Kmart--apologies to Kmart (and/or the Sears Holding Co.).

On 11/23/2013 1:49 PM, Bill wrote:

LOL, I was just making a point that in woodworking you don't need to work in tolerances that the human can't see. And The OP had on top of his list, drawing a board, not friggin atomic particles.
Leon wrote:

I wasn't replying to your post specifically. I just wanted to get in my 2-cents about accuracy. As far as computers go, integers can match exactly, but not numbers with decimal points, in general. You can ask and get exactly 3 twobyfours, but not of any exact dimension! ; ) Of course, the value of PI can be matched exactly--just not by a typical computer. If one is willing to express numbers with base PI instead of base 10 or base 2, then all bets are off.

In Windows 7 I noted, in a solitary game 7 out of 10 score is 69%. Garbage in garbge out.
Mark
Markem wrote:

.7 can't be stored exactly as such as a floating point number on a typical modern computer. Someone "casted" the number to an integer, losing what what stored as a fraction.
They used: (int)(average) when they should have used: (int)(average+.5).
The latter would have rounded.

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 23:29:13 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

Boo, hiss.
OTOH, I had the greatest admiration for Admiral Hopper, and she certainly liked it :-).
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
On 11/23/2013 4:00 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Yep, that's when you bring out the right tool for the job. But apparently not necessary for the OP.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

In wood?
On 11/23/2013 11:54 AM, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Cross posted to metalworking.
So yes...

The fact that it was cross-posted into "metalworking" made 50 microinch tolerances required for wood? These metal-heads are amazing!
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz fired this volley in news:uut199hh6700a357dmc7bjffvr5667kp2q@ 4ax.com:

Thank you... we are! We can do woodworking more precisely than you can, too!
Lloyd
On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 13:07:58 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Once again, proving that you're simply amazing (i.e. simple and amazing).

Probably not.

_I_ can, with woodworking tools. I built period reproductions of French Revival decorative furniture for about 20 years.
Except for a table saw, most of it with hand tools, per the authentic methods. Doing fit-ups to a thousanth is a must if joints were to be perfect. (and yes, I know about the growth of the wood, but some joints demand that precision)
No metal fasteners in them, either. Gauche'.
I can do dovetails you can't see a gap in by hand, too. Can you? I doubt it.
Lloyd

So except for when it was not, your work method used authentic methods. I suppose that means that you used the authentic methods when it suited you. It really does not matter what tool you use, it is the result that counts.

I use metal fasteners for knobs, and hinges and attaching adjustable feet on furniture that I design and build, that is about it.

Probably not, but with a router absolutely.

While we are bragging,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/sets/72157630857421932/
And with the exception of a couple of older pieces I have built all of these in the last three years and after I converted to Sketchup. AFWIW all joint details were drawn in Sketchup.

Hi Leon. Got a question about Mary's bookcase. I can't tell from the pictures presented. In the back of the bookcase, I see you've put in columns in the centre of the shelving.
Are they inset into the shelving or is the shelving have a space behind it the full length of the shelving?
Hope I made my question clear.

The back of the cabinets have face frames also. The back face frames however are assembled with lap joints that join with the rabbets on the inside edges. The center back stiles are part of the back face frame and it too has rabbets. The rabbets are 1/2" deep and 1/2" wide. The back panels fit in to the rabbets from the back side.
Soooooo the shelves have a straight back edge that butts up against the outer and center stiles of the back face frames and there is a 1/2" gap between the panels and the back edge of the shelves.
Clear as mud? LOL
If you are using Sketchup I can send you a drawing for to look at more closely.