cabinetry question

Page 2 of 2
On 2/8/2014 6:31 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Again, w/ the size of the chamfer I'm talking of and a _sharp_ HSS bit, the left edge is essentially undifferentiable from a planed or scraped edge. So little material is removed there's not a tendency to tear and the HSS edge is much sharper than carbide.
It seems most are confusing this with taking a large chamfer or a 1/8" roundover--it's nothing near that large.

That's true -- mostly a question of surface tension. The finish will pull away from sharp edges.
There are other reasons for relieving edges as well: it provides a softer, more finished look; a sharp edge will wear much faster than a slightly rounded edge; and a sharp edge is uncomfortable to the touch.
I normally use sandpaper, but I've been known to use a table-mounted router with a 1/16" radius roundover bit too.