CABINET SCRAPER

Seems to pretty well cover it. A single edge razor blade will work, but a tad small in a lot of cases. And, I did a search, and didn't see a thing about the scraper should flex.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

I don't use scraper much except for glue cleanup. I have always held the scraper in a way that would allow me to flex a bit so that the corners didn't dig in if I didn't have perfect alignment.

Check this out... this is from the article you linked to:

***************

"The second trick is to bend the scraper slightly in the middle. (See picture to the right.) The easiest way to bend the scraper is to hold the edges and apply pressure to the middle. There are a number of commercial jigs that hold and bend scrapers for easier use."

***************

They even make flex holders that will keep the scraper at the perfect bend (you determine) when for your specific use.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Mon, Feb 25, 2008, 7:00pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com doth sayeth: I don't use scraper much except for glue cleanup. I have always held the scraper in a way that would allow me to flex a bit so that the corners didn't dig in if I didn't have perfect alignment. Check this out... this is from the article you linked to:

I'd just round the edges a bit. Eh, I've never heard of flexing a scraper, until on rec.woodworking. And I searched for flex, not bend. No biggie. I've never had any problems with a non-bendy scraper, which includes, glass, and knife blades. But, if you do want bendy, I don't see any reason why they won't work OK. Last time I can actually recall scraping anything was something probably around 12-13 years back, and for that I used glass - worked just fine.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

Mon, Feb 25, 2008, 7:00pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.co did post:

ADDENDUM: In thinking, the only time I might opt for a flexible, or bendable, scraper, is if I were an instrument maker, and would need precise tools. Even in that event ho, I believe I'd prefer to just make specific shapped scrapers, rather than flex them. Be a bit time-consuming maybe, but I think it'd be well worth the effort in the end. That's if I make my own, if someone wants to donate any to me, I'll take what's offered, hank them, and use it.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

I bought a Bahco 5 inch cabinet scraper from Rockler after seeing David Marks use on one his tv show a few times. It cost $7.00 and the results are very satisfactory. The finish on an oak jewelry box I made looks clean, square, and sharp. A lot of work, though.

S.

Reply to
samson

Isn't bending the scraper the same as skewing a plane?

RicodJour

I think that is one of the reasons there are so many different shapes of scrapers out there now, including home made ones.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I don't think so.

Skewing a plane means to make your cut angle skewed to the surface grain, rather than to cut directly parallel or perpendicular. You do no physically bend the blade causing it to be misshapen. You still cut across the width of the blade.

When you literally bend the blade on a scraper, you actually flex the blade into concave shape, with the lower part of the curve on the surface you are scraping with the edges bent up. You only cut at the point of contact, the bottom of your flexed scraper, making the cut area much smaller and easier to control.

My 0.02, etc.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I realize that bending the scraper is primarily intended to keep the edges from digging in, but skewing the plane changes the effective angle of the blade, and that's what's happening when you bend a scraper. Ancillary benefit.

RicodJour

I understand the bend is done for the same reason we camber a smooth plane blade, to help blend each track with no edges digging in.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Sounds good to me.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Convex.

It also prevents the corners from digging in.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

I bought several antique scraper planes.

Some of them had the irons ground to a crown.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt