Cabinet saws

Page 2 of 2

A chip fills nicely with epoxy and a sharp razor blade. Most new granite countertops have already been filled in many spots.
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 17:16:21 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

When I saw "granite" and chip" in the same post, I knew you wouldn't be too far behind, Toy. Har!
-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?
On 12/31/2009 3:41 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

There is a new Delta Unisaw sitting at the local Rockler. It sure LOOKS like a massively built beast.
Then again ... 21st century, MBA run Delta, China in the mix ... ??
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I don't want to be an alarmist, but a couple of developments:
1) I have been looking at the G0453 surface planer for some time.....too long as it turns out. I called Grizzly earlier today to see if the price would be stable after the end of the year. The young lady on the phone would not commit, other than to say that the new catalog would be out next week and to watch the web site after the 4th of January. Well, the mail came an hour ago with a NEW GRIZZLY CATALOG!! But the price on the %$@&^ G0453 has gone up $45!
2) The Grizzly catalog does not list many Shop Fox items, so the T21849 is not there; and there is no sign of a G1023SLW. However the G1023RL series are still there. It appears as though the old baseline 1023S is gonzo too. No real surprise because they appear to be moving toward riving knife saws.
It looks like the G1023RL is priced at $1,125, a little more than the one you linked.
Don't know how close you are to ordering but a quick internet order might save you a few bucks.
RonB
On 12/31/2009 3:47 PM, RonB wrote:

Bummer dude! Free shipping is gone too. I tried to convince as many of youse guys as I could to bite the bullet on that baby... Sorry you missed the sweet deal.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Yeah.
I know.
%$@&^ anyway!
At least I can skirt the shipping by driving over to get one.
RonB
I want to thank all of you who responded. The feedback received is excellent. I will check Craig's List before making any decision. That was a great piece of advice.
This is, without a doubt, the most helpful group on the web.
Glen wrote:

On 12/31/2009 7:15 PM, Glen wrote:

Well, now ... let's not get too gushing on that count. Observably, what we'd really like to do is waste each other at the first opportunity ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Yes.
we know that.
And we are extraordinarily modest too!
RonB
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 06:56:16 -0800, Glen

I favor the G1023, maybe the best value cabinet saw.
Riving knife & left tilt are two features I'd look for. Leeson motors are also good to have.
charliel b
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 21:36:05 -0800, the infamous charlie b

My last birthday wishlist contained a request, which was fulfilled, for Paul Anthony's book, _Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Tablesaws_. I received it and it refreshed what I'd learned here over the course of a decade. It's basic, but it's all good info. Recommended.
Q for Left-tilters: Is LT really that much more beneficial than a RT blade, or is it just a tad more safe?
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
On 1/6/2010 7:19 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Safer on one just one cut IME (narrow angled rip), but then you can effectively do the same on many RT/fence combo's by moving the fence to the left side of the blade.
Other than that it is more of a personal preference ... strictly my opinion having used both.
Howsoever, it is easier to clean my LT out because the cover is on the left outside and not under the extension table.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 01/06/2010 07:19 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Swingman's got it.
It's safer on a beveled rip cut. The primary benefit is that the offcut is not trapped between the blade and the fence. If you put the fence to the left of the blade you can get he same effect with a right tilt saw.
This is an unusual configuration with tablesaws for some reason, although it's common with bandsaws. Go figure.
Chris

Which leads be to ask, why are miter gauges normally set up for the left side of the fence? The extension table is on the right, so...
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 12:06:58 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

There's no reason you have to use it on the left side (of the blade). I'm not sure why "left side of the fence" is relevant anyway, since I'll often remove the fence from the table when the crosscut is large.
In fact I heard a fellow named Hendrick Varju, who has been writing articles for Fine Woodworking and making "how to woodwork" DVD's, say on a podcast that he uses his miter guage on the right side whenever he can.
I doubt he is the only one.

Sorry, I meant "left side of the blade".

I thought it easier on the left too, given that there is a lot of table on that side, but I had to pick which way to set up the gauge, so chose the "standard". I may change it back (but that'll require a new tape measure sticker) because I don't like reaching across the blade and I usually stand to the right of the blade.

The beveled rip operation on an RT should be performed with the fence to the left of the blade. Period.
There is no safy tradeoff if you put the fence in the correct position.
Therefore, the downside to RT is that bevel rip operations have less capacity. Also, I find that ripping in this configuration is less eronomic for me as a right-handed person; YMMV.
The upside to RT is that your fence scale will read accurately even with a dado set loaded.
I have an RT and If I had to buy again, RT vs. LT would be pretty far down on priority list for selecting a saw.
-Steve
On 01/05/2010 10:36 PM, charlie b wrote:

Check out page 21 of the new Griz catalogue - G0690