Cabinet saws

Yeah.

I know.

%$@&^ anyway!

At least I can skirt the shipping by driving over to get one.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I want to thank all of you who responded. The feedback received is excellent. I will check Craig's List before making any decision. That was a great piece of advice.

This is, without a doubt, the most helpful group > My table saw (a used Taiwanese import I bought used about 15 years ago)

Reply to
Glen

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:44:14 -0600, the infamous Larry Blanchard scrawled the following:

If I'm blowin' a grand, I'm getting 3hp and 240v, TYVM.

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

A chip fills nicely with epoxy and a sharp razor blade. Most new granite countertops have already been filled in many spots.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Larry Jaques" wrote

Uhhh..., Larry, When we buy tools, we don't think of it as "blowin' a grand".

We think of it as making a prudent investment in machining capacity.

A word to the wise. ;-)

Oh yeah that's right , you aren't married. Never mind.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Well, now ... let's not get too gushing on that count. Observably, what we'd really like to do is waste each other at the first opportunity ...

Reply to
Swingman

Yes.

we know that.

And we are extraordinarily modest too!

RonB

Reply to
RonB

I favor the G1023, maybe the best value cabinet saw.

Reply to
Phisherman

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 17:16:21 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

When I saw "granite" and chip" in the same post, I knew you wouldn't be too far behind, Toy. Har!

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 20:39:09 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels" scrawled the following:

Rightio. I don't have to lie to myself. Besides, tools are my living. If I'm not collecting 'em, I'm using 'em to put bread on the table.

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Riving knife & left tilt are two features I'd look for. Leeson motors are also good to have.

charliel b

Reply to
charlie b

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 21:36:05 -0800, the infamous charlie b scrawled the following:

My last birthday wishlist contained a request, which was fulfilled, for Paul Anthony's book, _Taunton's Complete Illustrated Guide to Tablesaws_. I received it and it refreshed what I'd learned here over the course of a decade. It's basic, but it's all good info. Recommended.

Q for Left-tilters: Is LT really that much more beneficial than a RT blade, or is it just a tad more safe?

-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Safer on one just one cut IME (narrow angled rip), but then you can effectively do the same on many RT/fence combo's by moving the fence to the left side of the blade.

Other than that it is more of a personal preference ... strictly my opinion having used both.

Howsoever, it is easier to clean my LT out because the cover is on the left outside and not under the extension table.

Reply to
Swingman

Check out page 21 of the new Griz catalogue - G0690

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Swingman's got it.

It's safer on a beveled rip cut. The primary benefit is that the offcut is not trapped between the blade and the fence. If you put the fence to the left of the blade you can get he same effect with a right tilt saw.

This is an unusual configuration with tablesaws for some reason, although it's common with bandsaws. Go figure.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Which leads be to ask, why are miter gauges normally set up for the left side of the fence? The extension table is on the right, so...

Reply to
keithw86

The beveled rip operation on an RT should be performed with the fence to the left of the blade. Period.

There is no safy tradeoff if you put the fence in the correct position.

Therefore, the downside to RT is that bevel rip operations have less capacity. Also, I find that ripping in this configuration is less eronomic for me as a right-handed person; YMMV.

The upside to RT is that your fence scale will read accurately even with a dado set loaded.

I have an RT and If I had to buy again, RT vs. LT would be pretty far down on priority list for selecting a saw.

-Steve

Reply to
StephenM

There's no reason you have to use it on the left side (of the blade). I'm not sure why "left side of the fence" is relevant anyway, since I'll often remove the fence from the table when the crosscut is large.

In fact I heard a fellow named Hendrick Varju, who has been writing articles for Fine Woodworking and making "how to woodwork" DVD's, say on a podcast that he uses his miter guage on the right side whenever he can.

I doubt he is the only one.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Sorry, I meant "left side of the blade".

I thought it easier on the left too, given that there is a lot of table on that side, but I had to pick which way to set up the gauge, so chose the "standard". I may change it back (but that'll require a new tape measure sticker) because I don't like reaching across the blade and I usually stand to the right of the blade.

Reply to
keithw86