cabinet saw dust collection

I am in the process of hooking up a 2hp Onieda cyclone to my jet cabinet saw with 6" pipe. The stock dust port is both too small and on the wrong side for my needs. I was planning on blanking the stock port and knocking a 6" hole in the rear of the saw. I wondered how effective this would be? as the bottom of the saw tilts toward the side that the stock port is on. Im hoping the 2hp cyclone with 6" pipe will move enough air that the dust wont even make it to the bottom. Any ideas? thanks Keith

Reply to
keith

I don't think it will matter. My Unisaw does not have the tapered floor, so it collects dust on the bottom in a pile against the side opposite the DC connection. But it is self limiting, and although the cabinet is not squeaky clean it does not matter in the least.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

I cannot speak authoritatively, but I think your saw is going to be close to sterilized with an honest 6" connection. If you go through with the plan, please let us know how it works out. 6" piping is in my DC network future planning. Right now I have two 4" pipes going to the saw - one for the cabinet - the other above the table in front of the blade.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

You feel that a 4" piping is insufficient for your needs?

Reply to
Upscale

For the "cabinet" yes. I have a Jet Supersaw which has marginal efficiency for the "cabinet". (I put "cabinet" in quotes so I won't have to listen to all those people who tell me its not a cabinet saw - I know that).

I can either cut up the sheet metal of the cabinet (ugh!) or brute force it with more volume movement from the dust collector.

The 4" to the table top is ample.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I have 1.5 hp oneida connected to my jet Cabinet saw. I bougth right tilt specifically so that the dust port would be on the correct side of the saw for dust collection. I have 5" pipe, reduced to 4" just for the last foot or so.

My guess is that the cabinet interior may not be spotless, but it will be plenty effective.

More important is that you get some some over-blade suction as well. Dust above the table (like a shearing off a 1/2 kerf rip) will be flung right at you otherwise.

Reply to
Stephen M

You want all the dust? Overarm gaurd/collector is the only way! The 4" port in the saws cabinet is plenty lage to collect the dust that gets under the table, but the dust coming off the top of the cut will not get there no matter how much air you pull through the saw! I have a Delta contractors saw. I made a hopper for the base of the saw to collect what falls beneath the table. I had the back of the saw enclosed for a while, but did not see enough differance after removing the rear cover to bother putting back on. Even with the rear cover off it still sucks a bunch of dust off the top of the table, but when cutting, the blade still throws some dust in the air. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Greg-I should have mentioned that I also have an Excalibur Blade guard with dust collection too.Keith

Reply to
keith