Cabinet or contractor style

Have a low end Delta TS. Other then it's underpowered, has done ok. Out of the box it was right. Need mo' power.

Looked at Griz 444Z, and for $150/200 could get a hybrid. A bit more, a cabinet saw.

Just what makes one style, contractor, hybrid or cabinet, better then the others? Yeah, you get what you pay for, most times.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Typical cabinet saw is 3 HP and needs a 240V line. Typical contractor saw is 1.5 hp and needs a 20A 120V line.

Either can be very accurate, either can do most normal cutting for the home hobbyist. If you cut a lot of 12/4 maple, the power is a b ig deal. For normal 3/4 stock, hardly a difference. Assess your needs, assess your bank account and go from there.

Oh, no one has ever complained they had too much power.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Rick,

Edwin's assessment is a good one - "... no one has ever complained they had too much power."

I had a Delta TS several years back and it was a fine tablesaw until you started cutting heavy stock and then it was woefully underpowered. The hybrids were the next logical step for a home shop since they offered more hp and a few other enhancements. They are certainly worth the effort to look at today and probably offer the best bang for the buck. In the end, I went with a Jet cabinet saw, 3hp, large table, 52" fence, (Beis clone) and built my router into the right wing extension. The 3hp motor and larger, heavier cast iron table make this a safer saw to use - for me.

I have a small shop (12' x 20') and it's cramped but I would not give up the cabinet saw except for a better model. One day, there's a good chance you will be cutting thicker, longer, wider stock and the extra's you get from a larger TS are well worth the extra money in convenience and safety. No, it won't necessarily make you a better woodworker but you'll know that you can try the more challenging projects with a tool better suited to the task.

Buy once - cry once......

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

You have a TS now and want better, you have to spend a lot of money to get better than a cabinet saw. IMHO the Hybrid is too closely priced to a cabinet saw to not go ahead and get the cabinet saw.

Typically the cabinet saw is all iron and steel and weighs a lot, which helps cut down on vibration. Most cabinet saws are built to be run all day long and last for years and can easily cut any thing you throw at them. I can easily resaw Ipe with the blade fully up and buried in the 1 x 6 board with my cabinet saw. 3hp is plenty unless you are using power feeders al day long.

As for what makes one better than the other, as you move up you get more weight and more hp and stronger trunions. This all helps accuracy.

Reply to
Leon

You can replace stock motor with a 2HP, 56 frame unit.

I got one at Grainger.

Works for me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I got a little over $ 900 (Can$) into this. Spent a fair bit of time tuning and wrenching, but it's dead-nuts accurate. Not a whole lot of power, but I rip with a thin kerf and do my solid surface strips with a 80 tooth negative rake ATB. It has enough power for that. The Bies clone works nicely with my router extension.

Robatoy