Cabinet Master clamp failed

I bought some of the Jorgensen Cabinet Master clamps during the sale Woodcraft was having. While tightening one of the 48" clamps by hand, the clamping mechanism inside the head snapped and broke into two pieces. Now the clamp is completely useless.
As expected, Woodcraft is providing excellent service. They are going to replace it and pay for shipping both ways.
Anybody else have Cabinet Master clamps fail under hand tightening?
Mark
Mark Wells wrote:

No but I've blown the heads off eight Bessy UniKlamps so far.
UA100, who always believes in balance...
Did they re-place the Bessey clamps for you....

Windy Wood wrote:

Actually Wind, I can call you Wind, can I?, well it was like this. I was doing a panel glue up. Doing it just like my Daddy taught me. Joint the boards to a true straight edge, dribble on just enough glue so that when the clamps brought the boards tight they'd look like the dewey sweat off of, well, you know. So anyway, there I am bringing the boards together, not really putting a lot of pressure on the handles and just about when I expect to be feeling pressure I'm not. I'm just standing there screwing and screwing and screwing and screwing and screwing until, plop, off comes the head.
So in a nut shell, less than what was needed.
UA100

Just for the record, you are talking about the grey UniKlamps, not the red (or black in Europe) K-bodies, right?
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
LROD:

A'yup. The gray (grey LROD/David) ones that say UniKlamp on the side.
What they end up being is the standard (1) F-clamp with some plastic at the head and handle to give them the K-body look. Truthfully I think they aren't so bad and when they are new (head not coming off) they are the first clamps I reach for onna 'count of they have a pretty good action/nice feel when they are being tightened.
Something else I've noticed, the little 4" Bessy F-clamps, the ones you get at the wooddorking shows for real cheap ($4), over time they don't quite want to behave like they did when they were youngsters. They have a tendency to twist and wander while they are being tightened.
(1) Anyone ever have the F-clamps come apart?
UA100

Nope, but the 6" Bessey F clamps I bought 4 years ago give me fits sometimes. I much prefer the German made F clamps I bought from Garrett Wade.
David
who has never had a problem with either the K Bodies or the Cabinet Masters, except that I'm running out of room to store them because I keep buying more of each, depending upon what it cheaper.
Yo Bupkiss:

Oh why don't you collectively bite us!
UA100, owner of one K-body, thanks Jack...

and that one was a freebie, IIRC....
Bridger:

A'yup! Sent it to me onna 'count of I'm a whiny bahstad.
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

A'yup!, but it only works once. ;-)

So says the man with how many table saws, lathes and band saws? Hmmmm? And how big is the Starrett collection now? Hmmmmm?
Truth be told, the problem is less a plethora of high dollar clamps, and more a lack of good clamp storage space in the one-car/no-car-garage. Maybe once I use up some of the curly maple, walnut and cherry that have my wood rack filled to capacity, I can use some of the space for clamps.
David who is way more proud of having accumulated 25 gallons of blood donation credits than 12 excellent but expensive clamps.
J Pagona aka Y.B. wrote:

And he comes back to taunt us more.

Wow! Congrats.
UA100
"J Pagona aka Y.B." wrote in message ... snip>

I have a problem with sharp chisels too, but 25 gallons! Dang! <g>

Are those blood donation credits like Canandian Tire funny munny....as in, can they be traded for more clamps?
Just kidding. Way to go on the regular bleeds.
DLG
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mark Wells) wrote in message

Mark:
I have had several brake the same as you....when talking with Adjustable clamp last week they reported that they had a problem over a year ago when mine where produced...but they report that now the problem is all worked out....sure does'nt sound like it?????
Mike from American Sycamore