CABINET MAKER SCREWDRIVERS

I have been looking for a source for nice wood handled cabinet maker screwdrivers.. Would anyone know of a source. Thanks, Larry
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:31:00 -0400, Larry Barnes

You mean for unsticking...
Naah.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Add pictures here
βœ–
Larry Barnes wrote:

Try Garrett-Wade: http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?lGen ήtail&itemID0396&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iProductID0396
βœ–
I have the set from Garret Wade. They are made by Crown in England and are very good quality tools.
-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)
Remove "no" to reply

Add pictures here
βœ–

Now there's a sentence you don't see very often.
I bought a brand-new Marples not so long ago, so they're still making them. But Crown tools are pretty nasty quality IMHE - a bit of rosewood and some brass in no excuse for poor alloys, poor heat treat and poor grinding. Maybe their screwdrivers are better, but their chisels are nasty.
βœ–
The Crown marking knife I bought was lousy. I don't know if they even attempted to harden the blade. Sure didn't seem like it.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Have you tried Lee Valley or McFeeleys?

Add pictures here
βœ–
Garret-Wade of New York. Probably Lee-Valley, Bridge City, etc..
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 09:31:00 -0400, Larry Barnes

Add pictures here
βœ–
Several years ago I bought a set of screwdrivers at a gun store. These are the best SD's I've ever used. They have a very slight reverse bevel grind on the blade, like a dovetail tail, that keeps them in the slot and the corners are so sharp I would liken them to a good finishing scraper. I can't remember where they are right now, but when I find them I'll repost.
Erik

Add pictures here
βœ–

Try here:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/StoreHome.aspx
When you're working on a $3000 shotgun, a slipped screwddrive can be very expensive...
Mike
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 07:32:15 -0800, "Erik Ahrens"
The trouble with gun stores is that there are few hobbies with such a level of over-hyped bullshit about the "right" tools and finishing products.
Friend of mine is a black powder shooter (and knows enough about tools that he ought to know better). he recently bought a set of "gunsmith's turnscrews". These things are the same cheap dining table forks I had as a student (rosebush handle and some bendy 18/8 stainless), only ground with a straight end instead of tines. What a complete pile of crap, and he paid a load for them too.
I work on shotguns with exactly the same tools I use for everything else. If they're no good, they're no good for anything - you don't need magic "gunsmithing" tools. And that's on a H&H Royal Empire.
If the screws are old, they'll have been cut with tapered slots, so use a screwdriver with a matching taper. If they're modern, they'll be more parallel, which usually fits a more modern screwdriver. But a slipping round-ended or chipped screwdriver is a pain on anything, not just $20K of pheasant popper.
βœ–
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 19:44:14 +0000, Andy Dingley

Radio control modelling is right up there.
Where else can you pay $4 for 4 oz. of white glue, repackaged as "canopy glue"? <G>
Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Brass instruments. I don't even remember what all the various valve oils cost, but you get a tiny little bottle for $3 or something, and you can get practically a lifetime's supply of the stuff for the same price if you buy it sold as "Ultra Pure" lamp oil. They're marking it up 10,000%.
βœ–
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 01:19:29 -0500, Silvan

My favourite is olive oil sold in pharmacies as some kind of ear drops in Newfoundland. Two or three bucks for a one or two ounce bottle with a dropper. When I lived there, I seriously thought about going into the olive oil importing business, just like Don Corleone. But I realised there is only so much olive oil that Newfs can stick in their ears.
Of course, many couldn't figure out why I would cook with ear medicine.
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
Add pictures here
βœ–
Come on Andy, don't beat around the bush - just come right out and tell us what you think 8-)
Erik

βœ–

Check out the set of German-made wood-handled screwdrivers at Garrett Wade...I just picked up a set of them myself last month. They're made by a company called SKG. While the slotted screwdrivers don't have the hollow ground heads I really wanted, I kept 'em anyway and have found them enjoyable to use. The handles are nicely shaped and allow you to comfortably put lots of torque on the screws. The tangs go all the way through the handle, and the handles have leather washers on the top (although I have no idea why they bothered with this). All in all, very much worth the $39.95 sale price.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I will never look for anything BUT hollowground screwdrivers. When working on sewing machines, gunes, electronics, you find QUCIKLY how a tapered screwdriver will slip out of a screw and mess something up. The worst a hollow ground bit will do is break the screw head or the bit itself.
On 27 Oct 2003 09:41:15 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@angelfire.com (Me) wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@angelfire.com (Me) writes:

I don't understand why rubber handled screwdrivers like the Klein products aren't better than fancy wood handled screwdrivers.
I find that hard plastic or wood handled screw drivers are hard to apply any torque with.
Brian Elfert
Add pictures here
βœ–
That's why square shaft screw drivers are so handy when you can find them.

Add pictures here
βœ–