Cabinet Hardware question.

Page 2 of 2

No. Not yet.

Yes. China.

Quality is actually pretty good. I got a pair when I attended a liquidation auction and they were bunched in with a box of Accurides. They feel pretty good for a $4/pr slide, with an extra ball in the bearing slide to boot.
Haven't tried them in anything other than my shop cabs, but they seem to hold up ok. I'm looking at getting a box.
Regards, Rick
Well, I knew somebody on the group had to have seen these critters.... That sounds pretty good.
Rick Chamberlain wrote:

Well here are a few suggestions that you may want to consider. (1) Now would be a good time to make any cabinet modifications you/SHMBO want. You will avoid having to worry about matching wood grain and finish with the old cabinets. Just do any rework so it is flush with the old and reface it along with the rest. (2) Do all the work on the carcasses before even thinking about measuring for doors and drawer fronts. (3) Pick your door and drawer hardware next. In many instances the hardware will affect the size of the doors and drawers. For example side mounted drawer slides typically require 1/2" clearance on each side of the drawer but the good full extension fully concealed drawer slides need only 3/16" on each side. (but the bottom dado must be 1/2" above the bottom of the drawer sides.) (4) If you are going to build the doors and drawer fronts yourself and if you can possibly afford it get the really good hardware. Blum Tandem full extension, fully concealed undermount slides are the best I have been able to find. They have very smooth sliding action and a closing action that is unsurpassed. They are expensive but will not add that much to the total cost of the project. If you have a lot of drawers and can't stand the expense for all drawers pick the drawers that will get heavy use and use them only in these locations. BUT as time passes you will kick yourself over and over again for not using the best slides for all your drawers. With these slides you can build good looking drawers with nice dovetails and your work will not be hidden beneath ugly side mounted hardware. Here is a link to an outfit that has some decent prices. If you order from them call your order in as they are not great about keeping there internet prices up to date. http://www.ahturf.com/Blum/runners.htm Earl Creel

|I am going to be refacing my kitchen cabinets (making new cabinet doors |and drawers). I have been on-line checking out the different types of |drawer slides that are on the market. There is a considerable difference |in price compared to the ball bearing drawer slides and the epoxy coated |drawer slides.
Yes.
|My question is, is there that much of a performance difference in the |ball bearing slides to pay the extra money? Where would be the best |place on line to purchase my hardware?
IMHO, it depends on the loading and how long you want them to last. Heavy loads and a couple of plastic wheels aren't compatible. In a bathroom cabinet I'm currently working on I'm using Blum 3/4 extension, self-closing epoxy slides. Plenty good enough for a few towels and toothbrushes. The lowest price I found was at: http://www.scherrs.com /
For my planned kitchen remodel, I've sampled a full-extension ball bearing *self-closing* slide (KV8417) from: http://wwhardware.com
In my mind, kitchen drawers should be self-closing so you might give that a thought.

If by "epoxy coated" you mean the slides that mount on the bottom corners of the drawer box and run on a couple of little wheels - there's no comparison between these and a good pair of side mount ball bearing slides.
I always liked using the Accuride 3832 series and you can buy them in boxes of ten for about six bucks a pair (plus the screws) for the twenty inchers. These are 100lb rated slides and I've never had a callback on them.
I've heard from some guys that Accuride has been losing a tremendous amount of market share to offshore produced stuff but I don't have any names on the brands that are taking their work away.
Good hardware is so important to a kitchen project, and represents such a small percentage of outlay, that it's worth buying good products.
I don't know where to buy on the net, as I always bought from a local suppllier but I'd advise you to buy the bulk packs, rather than the individual slides that come with the screws, directions, etc. in a plastic bag. You can save nearly fifty percent going this way.
Regards, Tom.