Cabinet Hardware question.

Page 1 of 2
I am going to be refacing my kitchen cabinets (making new cabinet doors and drawers). I have been on-line checking out the different types of drawer slides that are on the market. There is a considerable difference in price compared to the ball bearing drawer slides and the epoxy coated drawer slides. My question is, is there that much of a performance difference in the ball bearing slides to pay the extra money? Where would be the best place on line to purchase my hardware?
Thanks, Steve M.
I have used Woodworkers Hardware:
http://www.wwhardware.com /
I think it is definitely worth doing the drawers with full extension ball bearing slides. Every time you open one, you will appreciate the quality. The worst thing to do to a custom drawer is to put a 3/4 extension cheap slide on it.
I have replaced some (eventually to do all) in our kitchen with the K-V brand. If you buy in quantities (10) you get a pretty good deal.
Lou

There are a few types of ball bearing slides, including the epoxy coated slides. Discounting the epoxy style slides that use the 2 wheels on each side, the better slides that use ball bearings instead of wheels and or wheels with ball bearings tend to stay adjusted better.
With the epoxy wheeled slides you often get side to side slop that seems to be no better than no slide at all. In kitchens for the common drawer I use the single centered under drawer ball bearing slide. For the heavier duty applications I use the side mounted full extension slides. Both of these style slides, mating parts, fit together with close tolerances thus eliminating the typical side to side slop found on most drawers that use the roller wheel type slides.

Here is a generic full extension that appears to be a pretty good buy... just found these guys so I can't speak for the quality....
***** case purchases only *****
http://www.gliderite.com/bearing.htm
I plan on buying a box for a shop project...
Steve wrote:

if they are at all usable than that is amazing. $60 for 15 pair of 20" full extension 100 lb. drawer slides?? hard to imagine how they can pull that off. Unfortunately, you know what they say about things being too good to be true..... For comparison, I've used some 100 lb. 20" slides from Lee Valley that I know to be extremely good quality. For 15 pair of those it would come to $153.
Mike

The "difference" is place of manufacture:
Lee Valley typically sells Accuride which is a very well made, USA brand.
I suspect these are NOT made in the USA and don't have the big name or big advertising budgets.
I had never heard of them and they claim to have been around for 40 years. I do not doubt that.
The really big cabinet hardware folks like Hafele, which is the largest in the USA(I think) will sell 20" slides in boxes of 10 for "around" $7 per pair, so the "eastern express" version for $4 per pair is not much of a stretch.
I saw "Euro" style being sold at the IWF two years ago for under .85 per pair....
There is only one way to find out....... and I plan to give them a try.
Mike in Mystic wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:55:24 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"

When you add shipping at the GlideRite site, this becomes $80.00+ for 15 pairs of slides (at least to my zip code). Still, a really great price if they are similar to Accuride 100 lb 20" slides.
calmly ranted:

Questions three:
Has anyone ordered from these guys?
Are the slides imported? If so, where from?
Is the quality anywhere close to Accuride or are they tinny POS?
------------------------------ REAL men don't need free plans ------------------------------ http://diversify.com REAL websites
Since you live on the "wrong coast", and shipping ain't a biggy, why not give it a spin and give us a report.
I "found" them and posted it... Like I said, I do not know about the quality until I actually see them. I suspect they are NOT Accuride quality but who knows ???
http://www.gliderite.com /
You are kidding about them being imported.. ????
I plan on buying a set myself but my project is later in the year.
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:52:49 GMT, Pat Barber
Are you in Oceanside, NY (been there once) or Oceanside, CA (lived near there for half my life), Pat?

I found some cheapies in the local hardwood store for $7 a pair but haven't used them yet. They're quite a bit like the Accurides in heft, finish, and feel but are only about half the price. I don't see a name on them but there's an HR stamp on the inside of the outer rail.

One never knows.

That's why I bought the cheapie pair: to compare.
I decanted some of that nastyass ammonia so maybe I'll just build that fuming tent and start cutting oaken pieces for the dictionary stand this weekend. (The oak is in the way.)
------------------------------ REAL men don't need free plans ------------------------------ http://diversify.com REAL websites
Actually, my office is in Myrtle Beach, S.C. but when I started the company, we were 4 blocks from the ocean, hince the name "Oceanside Systems".
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:51:25 GMT, Pat Barber

Souf KayLINAH and 4 blocks away? That ain't "oceanside." ;)
Are you gearing up for a windy time right about now? (Looks like you're getting hit with a large storm now.)
------------------------------ Gator: The other white meat! ------------------------------ http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Hurricane Charlie is now been upgraded at 2:00pm to a Cat 4 (145mph)... Florida west coast is gonna get reaaaaal wet. Some place called Charlotte Harbor is gonna catch the eye of the storm later this PM.
We get some of the action tomorrow around lunch time the way it looks right now.
Go here for a blow by blow(so to speak)
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov /
Larry Jaques wrote:

I almost forgot...
Look at the "standards" that they meet before you decide about the POS thing....
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 20:54:11 GMT, Pat Barber

Whose, mine or theirs? ;)
I usually weigh quality with part-in-hand vs. some sillyarse 9001 factory sticker or sumpin' like that. Look and feel are at least as important as specs. Otherwise, we could use wood-on-wood.
------------------------------ REAL men don't need free plans ------------------------------ http://diversify.com REAL websites
As Tom Watson has pointed out, even the Accurides can be had for a decent price "if" bought in "bulk". This has been my experience also.
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 14:48:30 GMT, Pat Barber

I just found out that the name of the offshore brand, that is a knockoff of the Accuride 3832 series, is "Sterling".
I'm told that they are less than half the cost of the Accurides.
Guys who have seen them say they look and run good but they haven't been out in the field long enough to get a read on life expectancy.
Regards, Tom.
I wonder if those guys in California are "re-branding" the knockoffs under more than one name.
http://www.gliderite.com /
or could these be rebranded Waterloo or KV ????
I love Accuride 3832's but I have always thought they were a tad high in price for what you were getting.
Some of the retailers really jack it up on prices on full extension drawer slides.
Where are your folks getting these "Sterling" slides ???
Tom Watson wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:11:32 GMT, Pat Barber

I checked with my old supplier for a price comparison, using the Accuride 3832 - 22" slide as the comparison point.
All prices are for each pair, in ten packs:
Accuride    3832    $7.73 KV        8400    $7.02 KVPBB        10022    $4.89    (offshore KV branded) Sterling        22"    $6.17    (offshore accuride knockoff)
These prices are from Briggs Hardware, except the Sterling, which is from Fessenden-Hall.

Regards, Tom.
Well I guess the only way to find out about the el-cheapo's is to order a box....
I notice that they only sell in boxes of 15 which is a wee bit different than most of the other folks.
I'm really curious...
Like you said... the long haul is when things show up.