Cabinet doors with inset glass?

I plan on making six doors for a wall hung cabinet 42 inches high. The doors will be about 13 inches wide and will have glass inset into oak frames.

Any advice on the minimum width of the door stock(solid oak) that would do the trick? I am thinking 2 inces wide and 3/4 thick since the doors will be so tall. And I'm wondering if 1/8 inch glass will be ok in a door that tall.

Anyone out there with some experience with something similar? I've done a slightly smaller set but with cabinet plywood lapjointed at the corners and they seemed to turn out fine with 1 and 1/2 inch wide stock and 1/8 inch glass, but they were only about 30 inches or so tall.

Thanks,

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt

I'm building the Woodsmith #149 Entertainment center. The two side-cabinets have glass doors in which the glass will be roughly 44" h by

17" w. The rails and stiles on the doors are 2 1/2" wide. Don't know if thinner will hold or not. For the size of the cabinet, the 2 1/2" width is esthetically pleasing; thinner might actually look odd. +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety Army General Richard Cody +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Wilson Lamb

Just an FYI. I was in the local glass shop a couple of days ago looking at different glass options. For some customers, they put the glass into the cabinet door. They told me that (at least for the 1/4" glass panel they showed me) that they just put a bead of caulk around the edge to hold the glass in.

todd

-----+

-----+

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Thanks guys.

It sounds like the oak would do fine at 1 1/2 wide or wider. With two doors in a bay being about a total of 13 inches wide each I'll have to play with the width so that I don't have too much wood vs. glass.

Now if I can get SWMBO to the glass store....:)

RonT

Reply to
Ron Truitt

Recently I built 2 curio cabinets with 1.5" wide rails and stiles that were

66" tall and about 17" wide.

Also 2 doors that were 24" wide and 3o" tall with 1/5" rails and stiles.

Reply to
Leon

I'd be more worried about the glass breaking than the caulking letting go--if it's a modern urethane or acrylic it's not going to give up without a fight.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I don't think I'd trust that much glass to "just a bead of caulking" I'd use something a bit more reliable. Not that you're planing on them slaming but............You never know....

I have glass doors in my kitchen and even on smaller cabinets they can be accidentally shut pretty hard.......

Just my thoughts........

Reply to
bremen68