Cabinet Doors question help needed...

Page 1 of 2
I'll be putting together a kitchen in the next few months and I'm building the cabinets myself. The problem that I have come across is that the other hald has found the style in a store that she likes and I don't know how to duplicate that in my shop. I've included a link:
http://www.thomasvillecabinetry.com/Products/product.asp?DSFRID34&bhcp=1
This is just an example, but you can see how complex the rails and stiles are. How does one do this? I would imagine a molder is used with custom knives, but that's gonna cost and what's the limit on the size of those knives.
Any ideas?
Actually, the door parts look pretty simple to me. I think you could use a router table and some bits of your choice along both sides of the door stock, then miter the corners. How you hold those corners together is important. Although I generally us cope/stick door construction, I have done mitered doors when I wanted a bead detail around the door. I used biscuits, but you could use splines, dowels etc.
Of course, you have to raise the panels for those doors, so you'll need an appropriate bit for that too.
Lou

If you look at the profile on the doors, I don't know of any combination of bits that would do that. It's like a raised convex center. Hard to explain.

I would think of doing this in many pieces, not just machining one piece. Maybe make the mitered frame and attach various moldings to reach the profile you are looking for, all mitered at the corners. The convex piece could be cut length-wise from a large dowel, etc.
sysadmin wrote:

I would think of telling my other half to pick another door.

By indicating that the shaper, the bits, the electrician and the woodworking class will add $4000 to the cost of the kitchen?
There's no shame in telling SWMBO that, as much as you'd like to be able to, there are some things you don't know how to build in the shop. Yet.
I think I'd cross-reference door styles she likes to cutter sets available from CMT, Whiteside, Freud, etc.
Patriarch
Rick LeRoy wrote:

What the hell's the matter with you? He was looking for an EASY way to solve this problem?<g>
Possibly what you are seeking is a set of cabinetry bits (stile, rail, raised panel) which can be purchased at Home Depot or ordered from Freud. The "raised convex center" is probably produced by the bits given a "classic" form - sometimes referred to as "Roman Ogee". I just bought a set of these by Freud. They do a wonderful job.
--
PDQ --
| > | >> I'll be putting together a kitchen in the next few months and I'm | >> building | >> the cabinets myself. The problem that I have come across is that the | >> other | >> hald has found the style in a store that she likes and I don't know how | >> to | >> duplicate that in my shop. I've included a link: | >> | >> http://www.thomasvillecabinetry.com/Products/product.asp?DSFRID=334&bhcp=1 | >> | >> This is just an example, but you can see how complex the rails and stiles | >> are. How does one do this? I would imagine a molder is used with custom | >> knives, but that's gonna cost and what's the limit on the size of those | >> knives. | >> | >> Any ideas? | >> | >> | >> | | |
sysadmin wrote:

I can't tell exactly from the picture, but the doors look like raised panels with molded rails & stiles. This you can do with a number of door making router sets from the likes of CMT, Freud, etc. If you don't have one, you'll need a router table with a variable speed router to run them.
Additionally (again, I can't see all the details) there may be some applied moldings along the inside of the rails and stiles. This isn't complicated, just another step.
~Mark.
[ Original post not available here ]

There're a couple of ways to come at this: [1] Build rails and stiles up from (routed) strips; [2] have the rail/stile stock cut for you on a molder; and [3] make a DXF drawing file of the profile you want and have rail/stile stock cut for you on a CNC router. This last approach may be least expensive, since your drawing file eliminates the need to have custom knives ground.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Actually you'd be surprised. The number of passes a CNC would have to take to make the profile would drive the cost back up.
To the OP, the doors have mitered corners. You'll have to have strips run of the profile. A local shop with a molder can do this for you.
Or, you could buy your doors ready made.
UA100
Unisaw A100 wrote:

It depends on the shop - in my case I can clamp up to 80' of 1x4 stock at a time; and the number of bit changes required might be more significant than the number of passes because I don't have any qualms about letting my machine work in the dark.
It hardly ever hurts to take time to get a price. Sometimes the surprise is a happy one. (-:
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

were me I'd go down and buy the smallest replacement door in the cheapest wood and figure out the construction. Then, referring to "The Rule" I'd tell the SO that in order to "SAVE" all that money on cabinets I need "$xxx" for a new router and table plus a few router bits, maybe a biscuit cutter and a jointer and a planner and aaaaaa, well, you surely get my drift... Heck, look at all the money the SO will save!!! And can you just imagine how nice the shop, oops, kitchen will look when it's done!
Phil Davis 247PalmBeachRE.com

Get a better half. :-)
On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:09:51 -0500, the inscrutable "sysadmin"

Crikey, that's busy!

Remind her how FRACKIN' HARD THEY'LL BE TO CLEAN AND DUST, then ask her gain if she still wants that particular style. Best of luck!
--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
I agree with Larry.

<snip>
be sure to duck.....
On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 00:45:35 GMT, the inscrutable "Joe C."

Only if HE is the normal cleaner and duster in the kitchen. I rather doubt that, though there has been one pro chef here on the Wreck. I do my own cleaning/dusting since I'm single, but I'm in the vast, vast (or izzat half-vast?) minority.
--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:

There was a good article in a recent issue of fine woodworking on making complex moldings from multiple simpler pieces. I think it would be a valid approach to make these.
Bob
Thanks to everybody for the miriad of opinions.
I would use the opportunity to purchase more tools, but (Gasp), I have a good working set and need to actually start producing something with them.
The deal with the wife was the only ay I could "Build" the kitchen was if I can make it look like the ones she wants from the store. I appreciate the simple Cherry rail and stile, while she hates grain and simplicity, etc.
I think I'll take the approach that most of us would do. Build the boxes and face frames and finish everything and worry about the doors later. :)