Cabinet door panel out of 1/2" Plywood, can this be done?

Just wondering if anyone has made cabinet doors like this. Since it is next to impossible to find true 1/4 " Oak plywood, just been finding

3/16th stuff, would it be possible to get 1/2 " Oak plywood and using a raised panel router bit, trim the BACK of the plywood to get 1/4 " thick and use this for a front panel of the cabinet door. Please remember that the cut out will be on the back of the door, I know someone is going to say that I should use 3/4" Oak hardwood, glue together and then use the raised panel bit, just don't need the added expense of that.
Reply to
bdeditch

I am going to try something like this later this year. I have a stack of baltic birch in 12" x 48" (x60") lengths, and I am going to build a wall closet in our bedroom. I bought plywood edging bits from LeeValley for the edge treatment. I am still working on what to do with middle of the doors as there will be a horizontal and vertical line (biscuit joinery) to hide. Maybe we will both get the answers we need. Thanks for asking. Good Luck Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Remind me not to shop where you shop. My 1/4" oak ply is usually within a few thou of 0.250 inches.

OTOH I just did a set of drawers with 1/2 oak ply (for strength) by rabbeting the edge to fit in a 1/4" slot. So far so good.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Sure - it will work but making sure you hide the back cut line. Why not just get a new plywood supplier? My local shop has beautiful Oak 1/4" in both ply and MDF laminated.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Why not just use the 3/16 or 7/32 stuff that you do have available? If you do decide to use the 1/2 inch ply, instead of using the router, it would probably be easier and certainly quicker to just rabbet the egdes on a tablesaw.

Reply to
lwasserm

Reply to
bdeditch

Norm just did exactly that on his fireplace mantel project. He took just enough off a 1/2 inch sheet to fit snug in a 1/4 inch groove.

---> Ed

Reply to
DADGAD

Just wondering if anyone has made cabinet doors like this. Since it is next to impossible to find true 1/4 " Oak plywood, just been finding

3/16th stuff, would it be possible to get 1/2 " Oak plywood and using a

raised panel router bit, trim the BACK of the plywood to get 1/4 " thick and use this for a front panel of the cabinet door. Please remember that the cut out will be on the back of the door, I know someone is going to say that I should use 3/4" Oak hardwood, glue together and then use the raised panel bit, just don't need the added expense of that.

Yep. It works great. It not only makes the stock a predictable size, but the shoulder can mask any variation in the dado if you use a router instead of a dado stack for the job.

I've gotta wonder, though- what's the raised panel bit for? That's going to look awfully funny if you run plywood through it, unless you're talking about something a bit different than what I'm thinking of. A regular straight bit should work fine on the plywood to get it down to 1/4"

Reply to
jessek

Reply to
Wilson