Cabinet Door Overlay

Hi all,

Building kitchen cabinets and am about to start the doors. I constructed the boxes with 1 1/2" soft maple face frames and am now trying to figure out how size the doors properly.

I've been looking at some full overlay 35mm "cup" hinges and can't quite find enough information in product literature to know how much clearance they need to swing open. My doors will be made of 3/4" stock and I'd like them to be as wide as possible. With these cup style hinges, will the door have enough clearance to open if I use a 1 1/4" overlay hinge? How about 1

3/8" overlay?

Essentially, my question is, what's the largest overlay a 1 1/2" face frame can support (considering a 3/4" door and that an adjacent door might be opened simultaneously)?

TIA

-m

Reply to
Mike Pio

Mike:

I don't know for sure whether this is the information you are seeking, but try this:

you need additional information, feel free to give our tech support line a call.

Jim Ray, President, McFeely's Square Drive Screws

jimbo

On a 1 1/2" face frame, and using the euro cup hinges, I usually go with a

3/4" overlay for the doors.
Reply to
Swingman

The largest over lay that a 1.5: face frame can support is a hair less than .75". Your overlay is mostly dictated by the particular 35mm hinge you use. The hinges come in an assortment of sizes that are chosen by the amount of overlay that you want. Since most of these hinges require the outer edge of the cup to be within 1/8" of the edge of the door Positioning of the hinge on the door in critical. If you want a 3/8" overlay all the way around you should buy the hinge that supports a 3\8" overlay. Personally I all ways use these hinges that support a 1/2" overlay and simply make my doors 1" wider and taller than the opening.

Take a look here for a good source. You can get these Blum brand hinges for as little as $1.30 each in multiples of 50 and they are complete. No need to purchase extra mating pieces. These are screw in type and come in a variety of overlays. Keep in mind that you must buy in sets of 50 to get the best pricing. Any extra hinges in lesser quantities are still pretty reasonable at $1.68 each. I typically buy on quantities of 100 and usually get better pricing.

If you click on the application button at the top of the page you will see the location and dimensions required on these hinges.

Reply to
Leon

Leon - did you mean to post a link too ?

Take a look here for a good source. You can get these Blum brand hinges for

Reply to
Jim Bailey

Mike,

This is where you want to go for everything you ever wanted to know about Blum Hinges.

site will give you files for spacing, sizes and types of hinges. I think Blum Hinges are the best on the market.

Insert standard disclaimer: I don't work for the company nor have any interest in the company other then as a consumer.

Roy

Reply to
ROYNEU

ups

Look Here

Leon

I spoke with someone from Rockler today and they claim they have a hinge which can support a 1.25" overlay for a 0.75" door on a 1.5" FF. They're far so I haven't gotten a sample yet, but does this sound doable to you? If it's true, this the solution to my problem as 0.5" between adjacent doors is just what I'm looking for.

-m

Reply to
Mike Pio