Cabinet Door Discoloration

The top corner or the cabinet door next to our gas stove has become charred. Apparently, the oven door was tweeked and it allowed heat to escape to one side and over time it blackened the wood of the cabinet. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on removing the black stuff. Of course I am worried about the area matching the rest of the door (and the rest of the kitchen!) after removing the char.
Thanks.