cabinet design /kitchen layout

Page 1 of 2
Looking for a reasonably priced short learning curve software. Past retirement and have built some cabinets as I go, but I am a terrible artist trying to lay them out freehand. Any thoughts? Sketchup is free but have not had a bit of luck learning how to use it for cabinets etc.
bob kater wrote:

I like and use this one:
www.cabinetplanner.com
I have used it for about a year now, it is customizable to your method of building cabinets (for the most part) and is not difficult at all. Cheap, too.
I just wish that you could copy and paste a customized cabinet. There might be a way to do that, but I have not found it yet.
It also contains a cut sheet function that lays out your sheet goods for optimal usage of sheets. That is very handy.
The material list tells you exactly how many board feet of lumber you need for everything.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

enough. thanks
bob kater wrote:

Spend a bit of time reading the help files and pay particular attention to the General Standards that you can set. You can change anything in the individual cabinet shop detail, but if you put in things like how deep you do your dados, door overlay, box materials and things like that, when you select a cabinet, all that is already done and you don't have to do each cab individually. Saves a ton of time.
Just start by building a simple wall and add some cabinets to it. Then look at all the options. That seemed to be the easiest way to get started.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

I downloaded that little nugget. Played with it several times and I'm amazed. What a bargain. Easy to learn and very useful. I was very surprised at its capability. It is not glossy and doesn't do photo-reaslistic rendering, or even shadows (afaik), but it will do a great job laying out a kitchen and give the builder a clue about what he's about to undertake.
That is why I keep coming back here.. to find things like this. Thanks for the tip, Robert.
Robatoy wrote:

To me, the sheet layout and board layout is worth the price. One thing that I hate is trying to figure out how to get the most out of a sheet of plywood. How can I configure these 18 pieces on this sheet? This program does it for you. If you have a certain length of lumber, it does that for you, too.
If you haven't looked at that part of the program, check it out.
When you have a few cabinets done, click on the calculate button. Click on one of the panel layout buttons, click on the method button, and watch what it gives you. Very cool.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
"Robert Allison" wrote:

As the old time plant engineer, faced with a new plant layout job would say, "...It's paper doll time."
A 4x4 grid of graph paper, a pair of shears, a drafting pencil, and you are in business.
If it is a one shot project, my bet is I'm done before you can load (type) the data into the program.
Lew

Lew, I'm surprised you're not mailing your post in.
Dave in Houston
"Dave in Houston" wrote:

Actually I was considerinng smoke signals, but I have misplaced the flint to start the fire.
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

I have about 50 tablets of graph paper laying around. I have so many years of working out designs on grid paper, to this day, all the preliminary design work is done on paper. Then I transfer it to a CAD program.
I write the same way. Lots of outlines and notes on multiple tablets. Then I go to the computer.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Well, I designed a set of cabinets for a small job. 24 lf of uppers, 32 lf of lowers, and a window seat.
When I was done with the design, I pressed the calculate button, clicked on the correct buttons and in 3 seconds I had the cut sheets for every piece of plywood for the backs, sides, bottoms, door panels and tops. Plus the correct cutting method to get the most out of my 12 foot lumber for every piece of face stiles and rails, door stiles and rails, and toe kicks, AND how long to cut each one.
I can't even get out the graph paper that fast.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
"Robert Allison" wrote:

Sounds like it's time to practice<G>
Lew

You won't need much practice. This little program is intuitive due to its simplicity. . . . . and proof that so many programs are too bloated. Many programs are like getting into a car and looking at a dashboard with 600 knobs and switches and all you want to do is drive. (the on- board computer of the space shuttle has one meg of RAM.)

www.ecabinetsoftware.com
I havent used their software yet (its on the way) but its free for use, but there is some condition about using their vendors...

Indeed. The concept (cellular manufacturing) is brilliant. The participation is not without some commitment. I have studied this with a big honking magnifying glass because it makes so much sense to me. Is it perfect? Not likely.
Technology allows, somebody I know, to work on his CNC from his house.... it is 20 kilo meters away. He does models of ships' hulls so loading the machine with material isn't much of an issue. It is a 5- axis device.
In perspective, why can't there be 10 drawers waiting for me when I get to the shop the next morning? And who says that has to be my CNC? I would love it that my CNC is running all day...doing jobs between mine...*IF* I had to make $3000.00 per month payments on the thing... I would want to make SURE that sucker never slept.
In a limited way, I already bolt on to the cellular manufacturing system..i.e. I buy my doors from a guy who is a lot better at it than I am.
ecabinets is not for the hobbyist. That much you know.
But I know for a fact, that if the brightest and most ambitious of 'wreckers' were to put their collective abilities together, there would be profit. Big gobs of money. But how do you sell a redneck on the word 'collective'?? LOL
As a closet American, I will never apologise for making money. I am also convinced that we can kick some serious Asiatic ass with OUR manufacturing abilities. We, Americandians just have to wake-the-fuck up and get to work.
*gasp*..I just cussed....I do that when I get passionate....
"Robatoy" wrote

Usted debe primero aprender hacerlo en espaol, seor!
:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Tengo bastante dificultad el expresarse en ingls, gracias mucho.
( NO frickin' idea what this really says.. it's a dashboard translator... for all I know, I just promised him to wash his car)
Robatoy wrote:

Just so you can compare, you said: "I have enough difficulty expressing myself in english, thank you very much."
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.