cabinet box material

Page 1 of 3
Sorry if this is considered OT, but I thought people here would know. First-time poster here. I assume the google problem has left some people out, but figured I'd try anyway. We have to select someone to make kitchen cabinets for our house. We are considering a couple of places. One imports his cabinets from Europe. The boxes are made of what he calls "compressed wood". Our other potential place makes cabinets domestically. The boxes are plywood. The term "compressed wood" seems to be a catchall, including fiberboard, MDF, and a variety of other materials. From my ignorant web searching, it seems that most of these are used because they are cheaper (and apparently more uniform). Most sites also say they are heavier, more likely to absorb moisture, possibly more likely to warp, and may be more prone to fasteners (screws, etc.) to pull out. Our European guy says this is how things are done in Europe, and that all the most expensive cabinets are made of "compressed wood". To me that's a non-answer to my concerns. I should also say that I always considered plywood as something that is likely to split when placing screws. Anyone have any opinions regarding "compressed wood" vs. plywood for cabinet boxes? Or am I agonizing over a non-issue?
TIA. Steve

We are very satisfied with the kitchen cabinets from (I believe) Kraftsmaid, via Home Depot. Installed by remodeling contractor 11 years ago. Plywood with maple veneer and maple hardwood portions. Upper doors with glass. There was an extensive choice available then. They have held up just fine in our miniature kitchen.
European kitchens should be just fine, especially higher end. Often it's the outer layer (veneer, melamine, steel??) that is more important then what's inside, because the outside has to deal with the moisture, handling etc.
Layman's opinion, so take it with sufficient NaCl. YMMV
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/12/2011 12:22 PM, Han wrote:

    Thanks--that makes sense. The importer claimed that in Europe they are not ALLOWED to use plywood because of environmental concerns--something about the glue.     When we moved into our current apartment a big selling point was the Poggenpohl cabinets. But they were melamine, and the cabinet doors under the sink (which got wet occasionally) eventually delaminated.     The importer guy acted insulted that I'd even ask the question.
Steve

Steve - I work in Europe routinely. Plywood is expensive in Europe, only in the Nordic countries can you find it at a reasonable price. Most large European manufactures make the compressed wood to size, no sheet goods and then cutting out parts. There is more glue and VOC in most compressed wood than in Plywood. IKEA made compressed wood acceptable in Europe and most companies have followed the IKEA lead. There is no "BAN" on plywood. I have had cabinets that were compressed wood, one weekend the sink was left running by a roommate and it overflowed, what we came back to was mush - the compressed wood had uncompressed in the kickplate areas and the sink cabinet - what a mess.
On 8/12/2011 4:33 PM, Doug Houseman wrote:

    Thanks--that's consistent with what I'm reading.
Steve
"Steven Bornfeld" wrote in message
On 8/12/2011 4:33 PM, Doug Houseman wrote:

Thanks--that's consistent with what I'm reading.
Steve
================== "Compressed wood"if built in layers is also called "plywood" these days!
Many times a nice layer of veneer on each side with a bunch of scrambled chip garbage in the middle is still sold as "plywood"
--
Eric

On 8/13/2011 7:57 AM, Eric wrote:

I think that who ever is selling scrambled chip garbage with a nice outer veneer as plywood is either ignorant or thinks you might be. That clearly describes either OSB with a veneer or Particle board with a veneer.
Plywood is always going to have continuous thin sheets of wood built up to the thickness that is desired.
Mostly the pricks at Home Depot in Canada sell that stuff.
Many of us don't want to pay more than $60 a sheet for plywood so we have to take what is on the shelves.
1----------------------- "Leon" wrote in message
I think that who ever is selling scrambled chip garbage with a nice outer veneer as plywood is either ignorant or thinks you might be. That clearly describes either OSB with a veneer or Particle board with a veneer.
Plywood is always going to have continuous thin sheets of wood built up to the thickness that is desired.
2------------------------ Many times a nice layer of veneer on each side with a bunch of scrambled chip garbage in the middle is still sold as "plywood"

I'd steer away from a guy that mixed sketchy information and attitude. Plywood is not banned in Europe - it's a cost/availability thing. Historically the main plywood producing region in France was a place called Mont Ventoux - maybe you've seen recent pictures? ;)
The cabinet boxes themselves are not as susceptible to moisture damage such as your Poggenpohl doors experienced unless there is a leak or a spill puddle is left standing. Little barely noticeable leaks will eat a melamine cabinet box faster than a plywood box.
That being said, either will probably serve your needs as I doubt that you let sleeping puddles lie.
On 8/13/2011 8:49 AM, RicodJour wrote:

    Are you stalking me? ;-) Actually, a puddle in the middle of the living room woke me up at 4. They'll get around to the roof--someday.
Steve

Helluva rain today, eh? Couldn't go riding so I was poking around on some rides sites. I went riding around Greenwich, CT yesterday trying to figure out why we couldn't follow the cue sheet and got lost. The cue sheet said to turn right, and the map showed that you needed to go right - remind me to print out the maps next time. ;)
One thing about your viewpoint on plywood - cabinet grade plywood is better than the stuff used elsewhere in building a house, manufactured with more stringent grading and frequently more and thinner plies of veneer. Hopefully that will alleviate some of your concerns about the plywood splitting from screws - it's really not an issue at all.

*snip*
That's what I like about maps. They can convey much more detailed information than instructions with much less effort. Do you turn right, bear right, or keep following the road (which itself goes right but only slightly?)
Pictures are sometimes better than words, and words are sometimes better than pictures. It takes wisdom to know which one to use.
Puckdropper
On 8/14/2011 6:58 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

40+ years after learning it, I still remember the military definition of a map: "A graphical representation of a portion of the earth's surface, drawn to scale."
The definition says what a map does, in about as many words. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

...and remind me to proofread. Said to turn left and the map showed to turn right. Sigh.
On 8/14/2011 9:54 PM, RicodJour wrote:

We're hosting 4 girls from overseas this weekend (from a camp my daughter was at) until their flights home. I had to drop one off at Newark airport, and as a pretty recent new user of a GPS (in the car, not the bike) I'm amazed at how just plain deceptive the instructions can be, even at low speeds. I'm famous in my bicycle club for having a terrible sense of direction. Help like this I don't need.
Steve

Having a terrible sense of direction while biking is a feature, not a bug. How else are you going to discover those undiscovered places? Fr'instance, getting lost in Greenwich let us find a castle. This from a NY Times article about it from a dozen years ago: "The Castle on Brookside Drive was another popular location in town. The greatest of great estates is a Medieval fantasy, a castle-fortress high atop a steep hill, with red tile roofs and towers and balconies, a drawbridge and a moat, a great hall with a built-in pipe organ, a bowling alley in the basement, a swimming pool guarded by white marble caryatids, and gardens with waterfalls, statuary and Ali Baba stone urns."
GPSs are two-edged. When they get wacky, they get really wacky. I've had times where they were telling me to drive straight across a field, and times they had me take three left turns instead of taking a right.

I wish GPSs learned what my preferred routes are. My Nvi 255W always wants me to take the Turnpike extension to Allston, and then along Soldiers Field Road to go through Harvrad Square on my way to the Porter Square area. I prefer to take 128/95 North/East to Rt2 and then a bit of 16 to Mass Ave going south. And that's just an example, and not where I live <smile>.
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/15/2011 6:27 AM, Han wrote:

;-) Now if a GPS took you on your preferred routes what would you need a GPS for? I use a GPS because I like to ignore that female voice and not get into trouble!

Most of the time she is muted :-) But the "Tom-Tom", as it is colloquially known, is a good source of amusement for our 11 year-old granddaughter. And we used it to good effect to get to here: <http://www.skyventurenh.com/ I have to get some stills out of the DVD we bought ... 3/4GB is too big for posting anywhere (I think).
--
Best regards
Han

Sometimes the route changes, some stuff may be put there for copyright- defense reasons with the expectation that nobody will actually be stupid enough to follow it.
My favorite was the time I was told to get off the Interstate and take a side road. Well, I did. It was OK pavement for about a mile, then turned into crappy pavement, then broken pavement, then good dirt, then crappy dirt, then a Jeep trail, and when it got to where I had to go through a hole cut in a chain-link fence I decided that maybe I should go back to the Interstate. How that got listed as a road I have no idea.