Cabinet above a radiator

I'm building a large built-in that covers a whole wall between the fireplace and the back wall of the house. To one side of the roughly 8 foot span is a hot water radiator, which is 4 feet long. It's a "modern", 1 foot high tyoe, not a big cast iron model. The built-in goes up and over the radiator, with about 5 inches of clearance below the cabinet. It doesn't get insanely hot in the cabinet, but I do want to route as much of the heat forward as possible. I've thought about designing a curved deflector to curve up from the wall right at the radiator, then curving forward under the cabinet, in hopes of diverting the heat to some extent. I also thought about insulating above the deflector, as well as covering the deflector itself (possibly .032" aluminium) with shiny foil to help reflect the heat. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?
thanks,
--
Bob

Travel and Astronomy Photos
bob wrote:

You can buy shiny foam stuff on a roll from B&Q designed to go behind radiators & reflect heat.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

I have seen this done with a flat piece of sheet metal. They insulated behind it with some aresol foam. It was very simple. I don't see the need to do anything more complicated.
I'm pretty sure any plastics e.g phenol is gonna be real expensive
-
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:10:30 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

I've done that over a wood stove. Stainless steel with air-space or insulation behind.
MUCH MORE IMPORTANT!    Contact your local fire dept and insurance company and ask them! If they veto it, can it.

Rather than focusing on reflecting the heat (IR), concentrate on smoothing the air flow. Those heaters run on a max of 90 degrees C, so IR doesn't play much of a role. Convection air current does make a huge difference. If you allow air in at the bottom, and with a curved/shaped smooth aluminum deflector, direct the air out from the cavity, the convection air flow will take care of the rest. Insulating it from the cabinet above, might be a good idea if that is where you keep your chocolates or antique LP record collection.

That was sooo 'Martha Stewart' of me...*slaps self*
I was gonna say.....
Robatoy wrote:

More Christpher Lowell. :)
RicodJour wrote:

Well, I wouldn't expect such common sense from Colin & Justin.
Owain