Cabin building in Finland

nice if it was sub-titled but still enjoyable
https://youtube.com/embed/_3J5wkJFJzE
good crew there
looks like a real cozy place
the big question i had was how much time transpired between downing the trees and finishing the cabin
i guess the logs probably sat for 5-6 months before using
On 5/12/2015 4:58 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

5 or 6 months may be the best conditions. But I believe if you check the old history books, ie Like Parin's Histories of various counties in th mid west US, you will find they did not wait that long. In many of these incidences they arrived in the Spring or early summer, fell the trees and built thier cabins because they need the shelter for the coming winter months.
I believe you will also see the same thing in the history of Alaska, and people who go to Alaska today and go native.
Of course these cabins were sometime considered temporary until they were able to aford the time to build their permanent cabin.
in message

I've heard that they built the Sauna first, or what was to become the Sauna later.
On Tue, 12 May 2015 19:51:42 -0400, Keith Nuttle

short. Winter pretty long. Looks like the felled the trees early in the winter, started building as soon as the snow was gone, and finished it just as the snow returned. Maximum 9 months start to finish would be my guess
On Tue, 12 May 2015 23:38:17 -0400 snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

seems reasonable
I wonder when they added a stove as it has no fireplace
On Tue, 12 May 2015 19:51:42 -0400

when they felled the trees there was snow and i saw no snow during construction

that makes sense if you have no shelter you want to get some quick
in the video it seems they are building an additional living space
Very interesting Traditional Wood Work. I enjoyed seeing the patience and pre-knowledge at work. I wonder if the termites eat those? You know when you use wood in a forest that is your residence, you also have resident termites...... and or other creatures who like to inhabit. John
"Electric Comet" wrote in message
nice if it was sub-titled but still enjoyable
https://youtube.com/embed/_3J5wkJFJzE
good crew there
looks like a real cozy place
the big question i had was how much time transpired between downing the trees and finishing the cabin
i guess the logs probably sat for 5-6 months before using

winter as in Finland. Mink and wolverine might be a problem, along with Porcupines etc.
On Tue, 12 May 2015 17:53:15 -0700

termites should not be a problem in that climate other bugs might be but maintenance would take care of that