buying used table saw

Maybe so. Sawstop has 2 tiers of quality just in their cabinet saws. The higher level one, at least, has several HP choices (3,5 and 7.5, IIRC). I'm going to visit Woodcraft this weekend for their 10 and 15% off sale. Maybe I'll get an estimate on a package while I'm there. As you probably are well-aware, alot of parts on a SawStop are priced separately: the blade guard, and fence for instance.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yes I was a aware about the fence and rip width capacity. Nice to have a choice rather than have to pay for the basic fence that often needs to be upgraded. No if only you did not have to buy the standard miter gauge too. And the Osbourn that Delta is offering is just that, a standard miter gauge.

Reply to
Leon

I made my visit and bought my sharpening slips. I found out that the weekend 10% special on powertools doesn't apply to SawStop or Festool. Professional (not "Industrial") Sawstop with 36" table and 3 HP motor with fence and basic blade cover is $2899 + $200 for mobile base + $250 for shipping + tax. Let's see, that comes to $3349 + 7% = $3583.43, but to be fair (in making comparisons), that includes the mobile base.

Reply to
Bill

To make it easier to compare, add to the price of the Unisaw to compensate for not having a blade stop feature.

Reply to
Leon

Good point. That would be about $800 for the blade stop feature, or about 33% more. It wouldn't surprise me if Steve Gass used $1000 as a fulcrum (my term here, for deciding what consumers would/would not pay).

If anyone else is keeping score, the SS does not include a cast iron "side table" (short extension table?) as standard on the 36" saw. "side table" may not be the right word.

Woodcraft emphasized that they could not change their pricing (due to their agreement with SawStop), but I expect that their $250 shipping fee might be negotiable.

Reply to
Bill

FWIW few if any "new" 10" cabinet saws have cast iron right side extension tables for the 50"+ rip capacity.

This seems to contradict what they are telling you. Amazon/sold by Woodcraft shows a mark down from $2719 to $2469.

Leon

I know that. But the SS has a short extension table made of something much lighter than cast iron before the extension table. The Professional edition is available in 30" and 36" (and 52"). It's probably just that

6" of the table between 30" and 36". It was pointed out to me that it is available in cast iron.

That is a 1 3/4 HP version. This one looks closer:

Bill

Maybe the idea of having a short cast iron extension table is to mount a router on it? Do you suppose they come pre-cut/drilled?

Reply to
Bill

I think a router table is a short table wouldn't be what I wanted but to each their own. Keep in mind Bill if you go over budget and it hurts a little it's much better then not getting what ;you need and having to do it again.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Have a good friend - he is younger and a big fella, who puts his Unisaw in the back of his pickup and takes and sets it up on site for finish work alone. Yes, they're heavy, but do tip upside down without ever requiring picking up the whole thing. They are much more stable upside down - no longer top heavy. He does have a short Biesmeyer on it.

Reply to
DanG

Not cast iron ones, at least not that I've ever seen or heard of. However, I have drilled/jig sawed out a heavy cast iron table saw extension before for use with a router. Along with using a heavy flexible cut off wheel in a drill to grind away part of the extension ribs underneath, the whole process took a little over an hour. Not difficult, just a little tedious.

Is an hour of your time and $1 for a cutoff sanding wheel worth your effort if you have a cast iron table saw extension?

Reply to
Dave

Thanks for the lesson!

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

MLCS sells cast irom tablesaw wings with router cutout.

CW

For 350 clams, I can stand, nay, _prefer_, melamine-coated termite barf.

Or for an entire prefab table, try this at half the price:

it to fit your TS if necessary, but a separate table is nice if you want to leave the fences intact each time. The TS fence is less useful, anyway, since it isn't 2-piece.

-- EAT RIGHT, KEEP FIT, DIE ANYWAY. --anon

Aw, Hell. Gimme CHOCOLATE! --LJ

Reply to
Larry Jaques

>Regardless, Woodcraft through Amazon is reducing their price, contrary to what the guy at Woodcraft told you.

Reply to
Leon

Fence and guards to be complete and adequate. I've never seen a table saw top too unflat to be useful (but cast iron with a crack, I HAVE seen). And don't check for alignment, you will have to set up and realign completely regardless, after moving the machine into your work area.

Reply to
whit3rd

While I haven't seen a cast iron extension set up for a router as original equipment (except on the 3K Powermatic), they're certainly available aftermarket. For example:

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yes, thank you for pointing that out. The last time I checked (a long time ago), SawStopo saws were not listed on Amazon.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I'd think that would be *very* hard on the cast iron top. I have to move mine the last 100' (garage to basement) in our move from AL to GA, soon. I've been told by everyone to be careful of the top.

Reply to
krw