buying used table saw

Page 2 of 3
On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 19:20:08 -0500, "Twayne"

Warp. You've never seen a TS with a cast iron top? I only know of a few with granite tops and some cheap ones with steel tops. ????

What's the purpose of the blanket? It's not going over the ground that way!

It's a Unisaw. Nothing hanging outside but the bottom has wheels. ;-)
On Tue, 06 Nov 2012 20:31:12 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

Tugging at the hook.
Mike M
On 11/6/2012 7:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzz wrote:

I think cast iron and aluminum are the most common, not sure I have seen one with a steel top though.

Yeah, you don't want to turn that upside down. Better to probably remove the motor or reattach the motor shipping brackets it should have come with.
that said, Swingman and I have transported our cabinet saws on mobile bases to different locations via lift gate truck. We have it down to an art.

and off ramps works. The back of the trailer is only 8" or so off the road. The only issue is getting it across the ground, to the back door. I can't get the trailer closer than about 10' from the door and it'll have to turn a couple of times. It shouldn't be a real big deal, though.
Once I figured out that the trailer could get back there easily, I stopped worrying about it too much. I just haven't had time because I'm trying to get the other house on the market.
On 11/6/2012 7:20 PM, Twayne wrote:

It use to be the way a good table saw was made. My 10" Craftsman from about 1969 has a cast iron top. As my father had a similar model Craftsman I know it had a cast iron top and it was from the early 1950's
Both saws are running great. My brother has my father's but I know the one I have the top looks nearly new, though it takes a lot of elbow grease to keep it looking that way.
On 11/6/2012 6:20 PM, Twayne wrote:

As common as it gets.
Have you seen a 4 door car?

Windows!
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 07 Nov 2012 22:02:13 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Big honkin' engines which will take that vehicle so fast, it'll boil your blood!
-- While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness. -- Gilda Radner
On Mon, 5 Nov 2012 12:01:36 -0800 (PST), Father Haskell

Wings will have to be reset, as will the miter slot but breaking it down into more easily manageable pieces is a *lot* of work. I got it the first 70 miles in one piece (sans rails and side table), I think I can get it the last 100'. I should have done it the first time but I didn't know if I could get the U-Haul around back of the house (I can, easily, and have several times since).
On 10/17/2012 6:54 PM, Mike M wrote:

Not me ... I have indeed moved my Unisaw a few times, but rent a truck with a TommyLift.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Well I guess another senior moment for me, but if you think about it at a negotiated rate it makes some sense.
Mike M

I used a 5x8 UHaul trailer and some 1x10 ramps. It was pretty easy to load and unload by myself. The back of the trailer is less than a foot off the ground. It was easy to push up the ramps. I can only get a trailer about 10' from the basement door, and not straight shot (it'll have to turn twice) so that's going to be a bit more of a challenge.
On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:42:40 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

Bill might have pointed out one of the more important features in a table saw - fence. Even if you find a good table or cabinet saw with a less-than-great fence; if price is right you can retrofit a fence. A lot of folks will aim you at the Biesemeyer which is a good fence. But Bill's reference to Grizzly reminded me that Grizzly offers their Shop Fox Classic fence as a separate package, with short or long rails. I have owned a Grizzly 1023S for about 11 years and it is equipped with the Classic fence - love it. Our son has a Grizzly contractor's style saw with the aluminum Classic. I have used his machine quite a bit and it is functionally very similar.
RonB

You're going to be waiting some 20 or so more years for that patent to expire.
On 10/18/2012 8:11 AM, Dave wrote:

And I think I would rather have the SawStop brand over the "Delta of today" version.
Leon wrote:

Maybe so. Sawstop has 2 tiers of quality just in their cabinet saws. The higher level one, at least, has several HP choices (3,5 and 7.5, IIRC). I'm going to visit Woodcraft this weekend for their 10 and 15% off sale. Maybe I'll get an estimate on a package while I'm there. As you probably are well-aware, alot of parts on a SawStop are priced separately: the blade guard, and fence for instance.
Bill
On 10/18/2012 7:27 PM, Bill wrote:

Yes I was a aware about the fence and rip width capacity. Nice to have a choice rather than have to pay for the basic fence that often needs to be upgraded. No if only you did not have to buy the standard miter gauge too. And the Osbourn that Delta is offering is just that, a standard miter gauge.
Bill wrote:

I made my visit and bought my sharpening slips. I found out that the weekend 10% special on powertools doesn't apply to SawStop or Festool. Professional (not "Industrial") Sawstop with 36" table and 3 HP motor with fence and basic blade cover is $2899 + $200 for mobile base + $250 for shipping + tax. Let's see, that comes to $3349 + 7% = $3583.43, but to be fair (in making comparisons), that includes the mobile base.
On 10/20/2012 12:04 AM, Bill wrote:

To make it easier to compare, add to the price of the Unisaw to compensate for not having a blade stop feature.
Leon wrote:

Good point. That would be about $800 for the blade stop feature, or about 33% more. It wouldn't surprise me if Steve Gass used $1000 as a fulcrum (my term here, for deciding what consumers would/would not pay).
If anyone else is keeping score, the SS does not include a cast iron "side table" (short extension table?) as standard on the 36" saw. "side table" may not be the right word.
Woodcraft emphasized that they could not change their pricing (due to their agreement with SawStop), but I expect that their $250 shipping fee might be negotiable.