buying tools on Ebay

Page 1 of 2
I, for the first time, was bidding on ebay last week on a Senco SNS45XP stapler (brand new/never been out of the box). I ended up losing the stapler to someone else. This week I found the exact same add (same stapler/same seller etc.....). Is this common? Should I be worried? Do you think I would receive what I am paying for? Should I just buy it in the store?
thanks

It sounds normal, they probably sell many of the same item. Always click "View seller's other items" to confirm, and click Seller information: "name" (number) either one, to see if they're a trustworthy seller, upper right of the auction page. Good luck to ya!
Alex

Well, looking at their history and the history of some of the people who left feedback, all I can say is that _I_ would be comfortable bidding. In and of itself, I don't think it's uncommon to find a seller selling the exact same model several times. In fact, I did something similar a while back. Home Depot was closing out the Porter-Cable 8529 router for $100 (reg. $229). I bought six of them, sold five on ebay, kept one and still came out ahead 50 bucks or so. Frankly, I wouldn't consider it improper to ask the seller how he acquired the merchandise in the first place.
Should you buy it in the store. For comprison, Amazon sells this tool for $290 shipped free. Your seller has sold the same stapler for between $177 and $222. Add about another $15 shipping brings it up to $195 and $237. If you could get it for $210 + $15 shipping = $225, that would be about 22% lower than Amazon. Now, if you bought it at Amazon, you would get a $50 gift certificate for a future Amazon.com purchase. If you bought something with that that you actually needed and were going to buy anyway, you might consider the effective cost of the stapler to be $240. At that point, I'd probably just go with Amazon. YMMV.
todd

<this is gonna sound harsh but it's really not intended that way>
I'm curious if you think you really came out ahead after the time spent putting up the auction(s), dealing with collecting the payments and then shipping them all out? Was $10 apiece really worth it?
I think he said he got $10 each, plus a free router, Owen.
Kevin
--
=====
Where are those Iraqi WMDs, NOW?

If I got a FREE router and $50 in my pocket after all 5 auctions fees and shipping were paid -- I,personally,would be happy and think you did pretty good.
wrote in message news:<onlnlowe-> <this is gonna sound harsh but it's really not intended that way>

I kind of threw out the $50 from memory. I wasn't that concerned about the accuracy since it wasn't my main point. Since everyone was so concerned, I went back to check. I actually ended up clearing $214, which paid for a router and put $108 in my pocket. Who'd have known I'd have to justify getting a free router in exchange for a few hours of work.
todd

still
I was going by memory what I got for the routers. Since everyone is so concerned, I opened my database that I keep auction results in. On the five routers, I ended up clearing $214.42. That covered my cost for one router and put $108 in my pocket. Was it worth it? It was to me.
todd

My apologies - I misread/misinterpreted - I thought you only came out $50 ahead of what you shelled out for the 5 you sold; didn't realize you effectively got the one you kept for "free".

five
router
Well, I'll admit it might have been ambiguous on the first post, which is why I looked up the actual numbers to clarify and stated it a bit more clearly. Even clearing $50 plus a free router would have been worth it, in my book. In the end, I cleared about double that plus the router. Which, by the way, I just mounted in a table to try some router table work for the first time.
todd

still
Don't forget he also covered the cost of the router he kept for himself. so he made about $150 profit.
--
Jon Down

still
just to comment on this, if you arent a very experienced ebay seller, it really is time consuming and annoying to sell stuff. but if you get some listing software (the free one from ebay is plenty good) spend a couple hours up front making standard auction templates set up so all you have to do is snap a pic and type in a new title and description. get a little experience, and dont babysit the auction, it only takes about 10-15 minutes of your time to list something, put it in a box, ship it, everything. and its not hard work. multiple similiar items go even faster. 40-50 bucks for an hours work, basically answering a couple emails and shipping 4 routers isnt bad at all. if it takes you 3-4 hours to pull this off its questionable. toss a free router on top of that 50 bucks and how can you possibly go wrong.
the only real pita is if you have to go real far out of the way to do your shipping. so dont do that <g>
randy
Todd Fatheree wrote:

You tied up $500 to make $50? Shipping charges, possible customer complaints, etc don't seem to make that a very profitable deal for you. I can see buying one for yourself as you did, but I think I'd need to clear about $50 per router to go through all that trouble.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd responds:

Not quite, at least from my reading. He tied up 500 bucks, made 50 bucks, but in the process also got a router that normally sells for $229. Even figuring his price at $100 on the router, it does definitely improve the deal.

still
buying
but
figuring
Bierce, The

I didn't mean to hijack the thread with my example. I hope it calms everyone down that I actually made $214 on the five routers and not $50 as I recollected.
todd
Todd Fatheree wrote:

You didn't hijack anything; all threads twist and wind. And I'm glad to see you made a reasonable return on the routers. $214 is more like it. That's well worth your time.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Charlie Self wrote:

But he could have just tied up $100 and gotten the router that sells for $229. Tying up an additional $500 to make $50 just doesn't seem worth the trouble or risk. At least not to me.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

But if he "tied up $100" that way then it would be permanently "tied up", where his $500 was "tied up" for only a few weeks.
--
--John

In
while
still
complaints,
buying
router
As I responded to Owen, after checking my records, I actually cleared $43/router. Is that close enough to $50 to be a valid use of my time in your view?
todd

Annualized return on investment looks really good to me! You'd have a hard time finding an investment for $500 that has a better return.
Mike