Buying Hand Planes on e-Bay

Page 2 of 2

A $10 dollar reserve for a beauty like that? Seems a little low to me.
Ken Muldrew wrote:

Ok, I can see a lot of corn-fusion here. Although the seller isn't a genius at explaining that the tote and knob (those pieces of wood) are painted black, he's almost certainly correct in the description. That is, planes of the apparent variety pictured (type 18, 1946-47) did indeed have hardwood knob/tote painted black.
This picture looks like painted wood:
http://www.therailfence.com/pic/MVC-465F.JPG
Secondly, the $10 is not the reserve, but the opening bid. Opening bids really don't mean squat on ebay, except when they're stupidly high.
Hope that clears things up a bit.
Oh yeah. I'm a plane guy. ;)
O'Deen -- http://www.klownhammer.org/ - Home of the World-Famous Original Crowbar FAQ
Patrick Olguin (O'Deen) wrote:

OK then, I'll go on record once and for all and admit that *I* am the idiot here, and I owe the guy an apology.
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:56:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ucalgazry.ca (Ken Muldrew) pixelated:

It's not a $10 reserve. It's a start price and has nothing to do with the reserve price he has set. The reserve is likely $40 or $50. And it's not a real beauty, at least not to me, though it's hard to tell from his bad pictures. Something about it feels too "new". Those knobs may be plastic.
-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown
snip Larry Jaques wrote:

I just contacted the seller off-line about his tools after checking his ratings on eBay, standard disclaimer. He has NO negatives and better than 600 positives. He seeems to be a helpful and reasonable sort. He has a mild interest in tools although his main interests are in trains and other toys. Since he says that the handles are "painted", I suspect that they are, plastic is pretty obvious, look at any Corsair. I have some "old" Stanleys with painted knobs and totes. My older ones don't. Write him and ask if you are curious, his e-mail is therailfence at dcr dot net
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Could be painted plastic.... ;~)

Around here, those puppies are rare and expensive. I had to look for ages just to find one that was cracked and welded, and I had to pay quite a bit for it too.
BTW, thanks to you and O'Deen for the ebay lesson.
This seller is one whose intelligence I'd be more inclined to question:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item244384737&category 874
The description doesn't suck completely, and the seller seems to know he has a fairly desirable plane for sale, but those pictures are a friggin JOKE, and the initial asking price is just ridiculous.
Patrick Olguin (O'Deen) wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item244384737&category 874
has a

and the

Someone did an analysis once of the prices on Ebay auctions, and I believe they found that the auctions that generated the highest prices were ones that had an initial bid of $1. I guess it's sort of like test driving a car, once you do you have an emotional attachment. If you are winning for a low price for a few days, you start to think of the item as "yours", then you are willing to bid high at the end of the auction in the excitement. So, the seller is probably doing the smart thing from his point of view.

see
74
his

The ones with the $1 starting bid are most likely to be shilled, too.

I'm curious; why do you think he is an idiot?
I don't buy or sell on Ebay but I look at the auctions once in a while just to convince myself I'm not missing much. I happened to look around a bit yesterday and saw a transitional Stanley described as being in perfect user condition or something to that effect. The plane had no blade, chip breaker, or lever cap. But it's no worse than some of the "knowledgable" dealers out there. One particular dealer recently sold two "sets" of augur bits touted for the rarity of finding intact sets in good shape. It was clear from the photograph that the "sets" were mixed styles. Caveat emptor indeed.
Cheers, Mike
I'd sure look at that plane for $10..... not sure where the idiot part comes in...
Rob
http://www.robswoodworking.com

see
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item244352978&category 874
Mike wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item244352978&category 874

"Both wood pieces are painted black."
Yeah. Black as in *plastic*.
Unless I'm the idiot and someone who knows more about these than I do can tell me that they were manufactured with black lacquered wooden handles in the '70s or something.

The handle and tote on my Stanley #7 are black lacquered wood. It's older than a 70s model but nobody would have used plastic handles in the 70s; that particular improvement is much more recent.
Yeah, I don't think the handles on that particular plane are plastic; the plane doesn't look new enough. If you inspect the third picture close enough the tote looks wood to me. Of course the front knob could be a plastic replacement.
At some point Stanley quit using Rosewood for the knobs and totes and substituted Beech instead. I don't know why they felt the need to cover up the grain with that dark stain (or paint), but I think it looks like hell. That's another thing I look for when scrutinizing a plane; if it doesn't have Rosewood knobs, I look elsewhere.
Ken Muldrew wrote:

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 23:27:23 -0400, Silvan wrote:
<...>

Just curious, did you leave positive feedback for the sellers in the auctions that you won? Leaving your feedback first would probably remind them to reciprocate. I usually don't check to see if the seller has left feedback before I leave mine. If all is OK, I just do it. Most of the time I get the feedback one way or another.
Did those sellers have big feedback numbers, or were they newbies? If the seller isn't experienced, they may forget, not understand the feedback system, or just not understand how important it is. A friendly e-mail can do wonders here. I usually send an e-mail when the item arrives and I've had a chance to check it out. That's a pretty good time to bring up feedback.
Remember, you're really dealing with individuals, not eBay.
--
Joe Wells

Hard to top all this good advice,only thing I can add is local antique dealers. Stop in a few,some are over priced while others keep those nasty old tools away from their fine old furniture and are glad to get rid of them.