Buyding an electric jigsaw... what's a pendulum one?

I'm about to buy a basic jigsaw and I see some are said to be pendulum and others are not. What's the difference? Does it matter?
Many thanks and regards.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Also, is a variable speed useful? what for, doesn't it just cut? Why would I need more than one speed for cutting? Thanks.

Sure it just cuts, but you may want different speeds for different blade and material combinations. Jig saws cut more than just wood, they can cut plastic, sheet metal, steel, aluminum, plate, tubing, etc.
Your blades will last a lot longer and cuts will be cleaner (without burning the wood, etc.) if you use an appropriate speed for the blade and material.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Cuts much faster on the straights, but doesn't do much good on tight curves.
Variable speed helps getting cuts started and in tricky spots it's useful as well.
-P.