Buy wood screw assortment packs? (online USA)

Page 1 of 4
What's your favorite online place to buy wood screw assortment packs?
By the way. Are self tapping screw heads any good? Mainly curious. I'll probably buy some of those drill bits that make room for the screw head. Sorry, don't know the terminology.

I usually buy screws at the hardware store. If I know I'll need a lot, I'll buy a lot. I rarely buy assortment packs, as I usually don't need 10-1/2" screws, 4-5/8", 20-3/4" screws, etc.

Self-tapping screw heads usually work ok. If you're working anywhere near the edge of a piece of wood, though, you should predrill for the screw. With the cost of screw guns (and drills) it's worth buying a second one to dedicate to drilling. It's much easier to switch between drills than it is to switch between bits.
The drill bits that make room for the screw head are called "countersinks" or "countersunk". You can get them alone, or at the end of a drill bit. (You can even use a drill bit to countersink a screw head, but it's not always easy to do accurately.)
Puckdropper

Yup, got a Panasonic 12 V drill and impact driver during that outrageous deal on Amazon last month.
The impact driver is noisy as expected, and it's a little unusual to use, but it drove ordinary slotted screws without stripping or slipping off of the head.

With me, it's better than nothing, but tedious and inconsistent.
Enjoyed your writing about countersinks, thanks.

I've found the assortment packs from Rockler to be very good quality screws, and actually to be cheaper than buying the individual 100- packs. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?sku00&cs=1 These "Square-X" screws will drive with either a phillips (everyone has one) or a square drive (works much better) bit. This combo pack is only available online. Rockler are the only tapered head wood screws I use now - don't bother with wood screws from Home Depot - they're awful. One time I thought I'd save time by getting screws there, and I twisted several heads off #10 screws. Waste of time and money. And I haven't tried them, but McFeeley's wood screws are supposed to be top of the line. They have combo packs also.
As far as countersinking, I have two suggestions: First, the Dewalt tapered countersink bits (DW2567, DW2568) are the best ones I've tried (better than Fuller or off-brands). These are available at Amazon and my local TrueValue. Sometimes they go on sale at Amazon for about $6. (Amazon.com product link shortened) Second, If you want a separate countersink bit, which is sometimes handy, I've found this type by Lee Valley to work very well. Easy to use, cuts cleanly. http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p2308&cat=3,41306,41328 I just got one of these a couple weeks ago, and it's already earned a permanent spot within easy reach by my bench. The Weldon brand version of these countersinks is supposed to be top notch.
Hope this helps, Andy
"Andy" wrote in message

Voice of experience: Do NOT to trust Rockler screws for critical work, like screwing adjacent cabinet face frames together!
Rockler screws are barely a cut above those you buy at the Borg's and, while OK for many shop tasks, they simply will not perform like a quality screw.
It's pretty simple in this age of corporate greed ... if you need a wood screw you can rely on, McFeely's is a good way to go.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
Swingman wrote: ...

I submit "corporate greed" is simply a reflection of the consumer choosing price over quality in the most part...

But I submit that quality is often not even available locally and in many venues. If corporate greed was not a factor, this would not be the case. However you look at it, a lot of scumbags make decisions that make it harder for the rest of us.
And I don't want to hear the pure economic model crap either. If mega corps really gave a damn about us, quality products would be available right along the low priced consumer crap. You know the bastards are winning when you can't even buy good fasteners locally.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Supply follows demand whether you wish to hear it or not...insufficient demand will lead to not carrying a product (or at least not stocking it--non-moving inventory is expensive).
Lee Michaels wrote:

Quality products are readily available. You just have to find them and be willing to pay the price.
For fasteners, most cities of any size have several suppliers who deal in nothing but fasteners and the tools to install them, and those suppliers can get you just about anything that you want. But they are not "home centers" or mom-and-pop hardware stores.
Now, how does "corporate greed" result in local businesses choosing not to stock what you consider to be "good fasteners"? Is it your contention that the decision is the result of lack of availability? If so, then planes should be falling out of the sky every day due to fastener failure.
--John
"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet cox.net> wrote:

That lack of availability driving the price sky high.

Nope. Big companies that make planes can get whatever they want. It's like Windows. Ordinary consumers are stuck under Microsoft's thumb, but Window's dominance was stopped before it reached the corporate server market level.

<4688aecb$0$97216$892e7fe2 authen.yellow.readfreenews.net> <gX2ii.13423$vi5.11386 newssvr17.news.prodigy.net> <1183382958.130041.92920 w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com> <U6mdnTxXD6uinxTbnZ2dnUVZ_g2dnZ2d giganews.com> <f6b1bb$2ir$1 aioe.org> <Ze6dnf2E2PlDlxTbnZ2dnUVZ_vWtnZ2d comcast.com>

John Doe wrote: ...

How's that? There's Mac, multiple flavors of Unix and even free flavors of Linux, et al., ...

There is now. For a while, it was touch and go and grumble. The court fight was something to behold, but there were certainly those who lost heavily in the battles.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

There were always alternatives and I personally don't think it was ever in doubt there would be...
imo, etc., ...

Yes, there were alternatives. But some of the ways that the pricing was set, buyers, even of just main boards, still ended up paying for a copy of Windows...
Many things have changed. But not all.
Patriarch
Patriarch wrote:

Which doesn't mean that you're obligated to use it.
--John
Patriarch wrote:

I don't recall this "court fight" over Linux.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

SCO ... and, lately, the 800 pound gorilla has been making some rumbling noises again.
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com
BillinDetroit wrote:

The SCO lawsuit seems to be suicide by lawyer--they were hoping IBM would cave and give them a big settlement and it appears that IBM has decided to hammer them into the ground instead.
As for Microsoft "rumbling", OIN is rumbling back, and it appears that OIN can hurt Microsoft worse than Microsoft can hurt Linux.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Agreed ... this should make for yet another interesting school yard scrap.
Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com
John Doe wrote:

Or maybe the cost of producing fasteners at the quality level you demand is what drives the price?

Which means that the fasteners _are_ available. Or are you now claiming some global conspiracy in which the aircraft manufacturers are in cahoots with the fastener manufacturers to prevent anybody but aircraft manufacturers from obtaining the fasteners that the aircraft manufacturers use?

You mean that Linux ceased to exist? I must have missed another memo. I'm sorry, but nobody is forcing you to use Windows. If you can't find an alternative, it's because you aren't looking very hard, same as for fasteners.

--John