BUY USA clause in bailout package violates NAFTA

Page 3 of 4
Joe wrote:

You're not kidding...
I've also noticed how much TV "News" is actually ads for network shows disguised as entertainment news and regurgitated press releases.
Let's not forget stringing viewers along for an entire 30 minutes, to see a complete weather forecast that can be had in seconds off the 'net.
Great reasons to _buy_ and read newspapers, as well as access to good newspaper web sites.
Joe wrote:

More like "news for ideology"

Good point.
jc

Look. You got four, maybe five 24-hour news networks with 1440 minutes to fill each and every day. If you don't have viewers, you don't have ratings and you don't get advertisers to fill 20 minutes per hour of commercials. So everything becomes a crisis.
scott
writes:

<heavy sarcasm mode on>
Yeah, *that* makes it all right.
<heavy sarcasm mode off>

Hey, don't think I'm defending the model. Most of the 24-hour news networks output is a joke. One and all.
scott
writes:

My mistake Scott, I thought you *were* defending them. Oops. :-)
jc
Scott Lurndal wrote:

Uh, the news shows didn't create the "crisis," nor do they use the word to describe the situation when a better word would do.
The network newscasters are merely quoting the President of the United States. If you think the word "crisis" is extreme, send a note to the White House.

I'm still looking for somebody in this thread who thought the word 'crisis' was extreme. What I did read, was that the news media milks the bejeesus out of any and all crisis to fill the space between commercials. And when the likes of Faux News do quote the President, it is usually out of context with the sole purpose of trying to whitewash their own, totally defeated and inept agenda.
If you are suggesting that the over-hyping (ANY over-selling) of the current crisis does NOT affect the psyche of the population. you're not going be doing well on Madison Ave. Advertisers count on people's inability to tell the difference between real and fabricated diseases, facts. products and crisis. People buy the crisis, because they are told there is one. Putting a magnifying glass on somebody's blistered toe, does not mean the rest of the person is ready for burial. The news media, of all persuasions, loves to look for that one turd in the meadow of flowers. And we ARE affected by that. That negative shit wears people down. "Oh bother...why get up in the morning..we're all going to hell in a hand- basket anyway..oh bother." Get a grip, okay, HeyBub?
Robatoy wrote:

Oh, I agree that the news programs hype the unusual. "If it bleeds, it leads." But that's the way it has always been.
There's a verse in Numbers in chronicling the history of the Jews: "And for 30 years peace reigned throughout the land." That's it! Nothing worth mentioning happened for 30 years! Another example is the situation in Iraq. Since children are laughing, shops are open, people are voting, there's no news! Normal stuff isn't worth mentioning.
Now as to your complaint about whether there's actually a "crisis." Yes, there is, but it's not what the politicians and the news directors point to. In fact, just about every "crisis" or large difficulty is the result of an up-stream, failed, liberal experiment. Banking, homelessness, education, war on terror, illegitimate births, you-name-it. That's the crisis: giving credit to ideas from the loons.
HeyBub wrote:

Blame! Yes, let's blame the liberals. Blame women. Blame Jews. Blame ideologues. That's a lot simpler than trying to understand and characterize the problem and formulating a solution. And it makes me feel superior. And comforted.     hallelujah,     j4

Like the annual "war on Christmas?"
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Can't be that much of a "crisis". Pelosi, along with 8 other democrats, their spouses, aides and who knows else left Washington DC tonight....... in her personal (US Taxpayer paid) jet for ITALY. Claims to be on a "fact-finding" trip for a week. Seems there's enough taxpayer dollars to cover that!

Don't worry, once the Pork Bill passes and is signed into law the reporting will suddenly turn positive, even before the first dollar is wast^h^h^h^h spent.

The worst is yet to come. Hope you don't have any children--they will will pay highly for all this. They should not call it a "Stimulus Package." Currently I'm layed off--I want a job, not an extenstion of unemployment benefits. What part of the Stimulus Package is going to get me back to work? In a typical year I pay well over $18,000 in federal taxes, in 2008, my federal taxes were $260.
No work = Less federal tax dollars.
Hello inflation, hello higher taxes.
Phisherman wrote:

Care to talk off-list?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Phisherman wrote:

There seems to be a lot of that going on, I was laid off in December after over 20 years with the same company. It isn't just happenning in the States, I got a letter from the federal government this week denying me any unemployment benefits, seems I made too much money when I was working, and as my severance package was just a bit better than the legal minimum here in Canada.
Out of over 70 people that used to work there, there is now a total of six, and they were all just handed a 15% pay cut.
--
Froz...

Phisherman wrote:

Burger Barn is hiring. This is the type of job you will be offered.

We haven't cut ours up. The repose in a drawer in case of emergency need. Every once in a bit, we charge something, and pay it off when the bill arrives...I often use them for gas purchases now that drive- aways are such a PITA. Most places today demand payment inside before pumping, or a credit card. I save the walk and use the card. We very seldom use more than $150 worth of gas a month. Actually, we very seldom use more than $100 worth a month, UNLESS MobilExxon ow whatever its name is this week decides to up prices.
They're handy on trips, too, as a source of emergency funds if nothing else.
Getting my job yanked out from under me a few years ago taught me something about credit, as well as about Woodcraft.

We haven't cut ours up. The repose in a drawer in case of emergency need. Every once in a bit, we charge something, and pay it off when the bill arrives...I often use them for gas purchases now that drive- aways are such a PITA. Most places today demand payment inside before pumping, or a credit card. I save the walk and use the card. We very seldom use more than $150 worth of gas a month. Actually, we very seldom use more than $100 worth a month, UNLESS MobilExxon ow whatever its name is this week decides to up prices.
They're handy on trips, too, as a source of emergency funds if nothing else.
Getting my job yanked out from under me a few years ago taught me something about credit, as well as about Woodcraft.
I agree with you there. I would suggest a "Debit Card" for those emergencies which can crop up. As long as the money is there to support it. Any cash advance via a credit card has interest charged from the date of the advance to the date it is paid off. If one uses a Debit card all it costs is the ATM charge.
BTB, there are still a few places up here in "The Great Frozen North" that let one gas up first.
P D Q