BUY USA clause in bailout package violates NAFTA

Page 2 of 4  


I get interest on the money I have in my bank account (credited monthly) meanwhile I am using VISA's money and letting mine moulder in my account.
I've used credit cards for over 30 years, never

Agreed. I never buy on credit unless the money is already in my account to pay for the purchase when the VISA bill arrives.
The trouble with credit is that sooner or later the wolf will come calling and usually when one can least afford to pay up.
P D Q
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That's the trick. I buy on credit all the time, but pay off each and every billing statement. In fact, in order to prevent me from forgetting to pay, I have ordered the CC comapnies to take the money automagically from my checking account. So far all is going well, but I keep a strict eye on each account.
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
PDQ wrote:

... snip

Something I have always done is to set up my accounting such that I have credit card "reserve" accounts (with computer-based accounting systems, this is now easier than ever). Whenever I use a credit card, I treat the transaction just as if it were a check and deduct the amount to the appropriate (Discover, Amex, MasterCard, etc.) reserve account. Then, when the monthly bill comes in, the correct reserve amount is transferred back into the checking account and the bill paid. Makes it real easy to see how much money one has available at any time and there are no surprises when the card bill shows up.
--
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Must have taken a course in double entry accounting at some point.
All I have ever done is trust my little pea-brain to keep a running total and my will power to keep out of the pot when there is not enough to cover the cost of an item.
Thusfar, I have never gone hungry.
P D Q

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
PDQ wrote:

Nope, it's just something that made sense. I'm an engineer by training but have been tapped into technical management. I don't have any formal accounting training, but working with our accounting folks, the rules and tracking all seem pretty common-sense and fairly easy to follow.

If it works for you, that is all that matters.
I usually relate my approach to members of the younger generation to hopefully provide them with some ideas of ways to keep themselves out of trouble. In our current instant-gratification society, I figure if we can help keep a few people from getting up to their eyeballs in debt, we've done them a service.

--
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
PDQ wrote:

Are you not on Lee Valley's catalog mailing list? :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Yup. Just cause I am does not mean I over-shop there.
I do manage a few nice trinkets from time to time.
P D Q

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mark & Juanita wrote:

I do nearly same thing, in Quicken, with direct deposited paychecks and a simple budget.
Since I'm only spending money I have, there's never a problem. I HATE dealing with cash and change, and greatly prefer plastic. I rarely have more than $20-30 in cash on my person. Sometimes, I can carry the same $20 for weeks! <G>
My wife and I also use reserve accounts for discretionary personal spending money. I can't remember the last money argument.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
B A R R Y wrote:

Yep. Works great, doesn't it?
Of course, we are the ones who are going to be punished for doing the right thing while those in over their heads are going to get debt forgiveness. What a world we live in.
--
If you're going to be dumb, you better be tough

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mark & Juanita wrote:

I know... 8^(
My wife and I always lived by the rule that if you can't tell each other how much something costs, and how we're going to pay for it, it shouldn't be bought. We've also always had our retirement and cash-reserve savings direct debited from our paychecks, forcing us to live on what's left.
I'm not against responsibly used debt of reasonable cost. But, WOW! I can't believe the level of creative financing and self-lying that's out there! I'm still being stunned daily how short so many folks were willing to sell themselves for _stuff_...
Many on this forum are plenty willing to work, and in many cases do extra and side work to get ahead. The host of my favorite finance radio show, Ray Lucia, talks of people who will contact his show for help, and in some cases really only need $100-200/mo. to keep their head above water or maybe even right the ship. When he would suggest a second job, even if it's bagging groceries or delivering pizza, they'd get insulted! In extreme cases, folks would lose a car to a repo, or hammer their credit rating, before being seen working a part-time, entry level job.
So... even those acting responsibly are getting hammered in the ol' investment portfolio, home values, and even on the job.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I blame the media for much of the oil price climb. It became a self fulfilling prophecy and people watched the price of oil like it was the score of a football game. Hooray, we set another record. Let's try for more tomorrow!
IMO, the economy will improve once people get over the fact that it is bad and get back to normal habits.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yeah. It's a helluva lot better to not know what's happening.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yeah. It's a helluva lot better to not know what's happening.
========The distance between knowing the facts and watching the news is so vast that it's not even worth the comment.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I just wish the damn media would stop milking these crisis. The 'Sky Is Falling' is making things worse.
Well, if you think sex sells, you're wrong. *Fear* sells. With the death of the nightly news and the creation of "news for profit", fear has been selling ever since.
my $.02, not adjusted for inflation.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Yes, and as long as a blithering nut-job like Bill O'Really shills Faux News right-wing press releases, including typos, there will be idiots who buy their crap hook, line and sinker.
"Hot diggidy-damn, Martha, you know what Limbaugh said today?"
Human beings are capable of only 2 emotions. Love and fear. Left and Right. That's how the Bankers Manifesto of 1892 wants it. Keep us apart.. because should the population ever band together and get their pitchforks and torches out, look out bankers.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Clearly you've never watched his show.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I have watched his show, more than once. Therefore, I drew the conclusion that O'Reilly is indeed a blthering idiot...maybe not of the same calibre as MegaNutJobs Glenn Beck and Rush (Pills) Limbaugh...but a nut-job nonetheless.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Robatoy wrote:

I might suggest that any watcher of these guys read what they have to say on their websites. Absent the histrionics, it gets even funnier/scarier/stranger/sillier... Read/study the transcripts of his radio show.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Therefore you would realize he's part of the global warming crowd and big oil company investigations. Hardly a "right-wing" angle.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Robatoy wrote:

There are four primal emotions:
The Limbic System (our "lizard brain") controls the four F's: Flight, Fight, Feeding, and Reproduction.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.