buy tool before end of year or after

I hope to be able to buy a jointer and planer sometime soon, either by the end of this year or just after. What are some thoughts on buying before or after the end of the year to get the best price, Or would it not make any difference. CC

Reply to
CC

Hey CC, I don't know if you live near any of the scheduled woodworking shows but sometimes you can get a good deal on the machines at the show or on any promotions they are offering. Many shows are runnig this time of year and going into 2009. I think I made out very well 4 years ago at the Baltimore show in January when I upgraded several machines. I'm not sure if there is any advantage on either side of New Year's day but a show deal can be very enticing. =20 Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

"CC" wrote in news:vXkSk.23966$_Y1.10997 @bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Here's my quick take on it: Watch for Christmas sales coming up. (Christmas before Thanksgiving? Bah humbug!) Some stores will have an everything's on sale deal going.

If you're looking at financing something via a no-payments for XX months deal, I'd wait until after January 1st. You might get an extra 6 months out of the deal them.

When looking for a deal, the trick is to know what you want and then pick it up when it hits your price.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Well, I found prices, in general, to be higher late fall and winter than other times of the year. Companies are more likely to promote their products when sales are down during the summer and late spring. It doesn't matter if you are buying used, though. Buying quality used equipment will give the most bang for the buck, you have to keep looking (newspaper, Craigslist, radio swap programs, etc).

Reply to
Phisherman

I'm in Detroit and we have two shows coming through in the next month. I'm just starting out and looking for a 6" jointer, benchtop planer and drill press...so I've placed a moratorium on craigslist purchases until I check them both out. This is a special kind of torture.

Greg M

Reply to
Greg M

Thanks all I guess the best thing is to watch the prices on what I want and buy when they reach the price point I want, There are not really any tool shows that come to this area so I will have to pay more attention to what is going on sale. CC

Reply to
CC

Also check to see if the manufacture of the tool(s) you're interested in have any promo's. Jet for instance is now running their "THE BIG 50th Anniversary Event" with various rebates. The promo ends 12/31/2008.

Nova

"CC" wrote in news:vXkSk.23966$_Y1.10997 @bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Please try to buy U.S. Barring that, buy from a country that treats its workers right. A nation's economic wealth comes from the bottom up, so please try to support the worker. The guys at the top will always make out, so don't worry about them.

Reply to
Scritch