Buy American? Starrett measuring tools.....

Page 3 of 4
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Does the new method make them inferior in some way?

So you are basing your views on the performance of current production vs old production on examing tools in a store? You've not used the current production and found them lacking?
--
--John

Yes, the inside of the socket is different and affects the epth it can use.

I have a couple of the combination wrenches. I used them. They are lacking. They are not as good as my old ones.
Since you seem intent on finding all the details, go buy a couple of the new tools and then stop by my house. I'll get out my original 40 year old Craftsman toolbox, all the tools (most of them) I still have from the original set and well try them out, one by one. You can then decide from your own experience which set is better. I have a couple of things to do on my car so we can give them an honest workout. Is Saturday OK for you? Ed
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Odd. All of mine seem to be relieved to the full depth of the socket--the only thing that's going to restrict the depth is the drive itself.

But what was the nature of the lack?

Where are you located? Might take you up on that if it's not too far. You drink beer?

--
--John

Not on the replacement 3/4" I just looked at. About half way up the inside there is a shoulder that would stop the head. Maybe they changed them again.

Its a touchy feely thing. You can't get into the same spots and leverage because of the angle of the ends and the grip does not seem as good in use.

I'm in northeast CT. Yep, I even have a bottle of chili beer (with the chili pepper inside) if you want to give it a try.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Sounds good. Unfortunately I find myself paying by the mile until Monday (seems an oil change turned into a $2k repair job drat it all). Rain check?
--
--John

Any time.

Softer material and looser tolerances for a couple of things. I have seen some cheap sockets strip themselves on hard bolts. Conversely, I have seen cheap box-end wrenches round over nuts because they are too loose and slip around the nut instead of tightly fitting it. I have also seen cheaper open-end wrenches flex open around nuts and also round them over.

Yes. IF you buy the older Craftsman tools. I asked my dad to send me one of me late grandfather's combo square. I was disappointed to see "Craftsman" etched into it...BUT, was surprised at how good it was once I started using it! It was probably bought in the the 50s, 60s or 70s when Craftsman tools were made well.
Won't be buying a Starret or Mitutoyo combo square for a while,
Layne

They're not being fickle-- if they bought from you for a reason, and you remove that aspect of your product, they'll stop buying for the same reason they were attracted to your product in the first place. The reason could be quality, or price, or whatever, but if you change the deal, you'll have to attract a different set of customers.
The strange thing is when every manufacturer chases the low-priced end of the market. Haven't they ever heard of niche markets?
Yes. It's getting so that buying things of high quality, realizing that it will cost more, is hard to do. Cheap is all you can find.

The measuring tool is only half the battle. How you use it and how you cut are also important. Point being, the best tool in the world is useless if you don't use it correctly or you can't cut worth a rats ass.
Grandpa
Jay Pique wrote:

I have had good luck at the Pawn Shops finding deals on Starrett. Mike
Mike at American Sycamore wrote:

Ditto what Mike said though I've taken the route of finding them at garage/estate sales. Of course it never hurts that we did once upon a time employ an inordinate amount of machinists here in the upper midwest.
Also, eBay and don't stay stuck too long on Starrett when there are also the Unions, the Lufkins, the Mitutoyos, the PECs, the STIs, the Brown and Sharpes, and the Scherr Tumicos.
UA100, who paid/pays around $10-$20 (1) average for a 12" Starrett 3-piece combo...
(1) One does have to uncover a lot of garage/estate sales to find a decent tool or two at great prices and whilst one could/should/would factor in this time as it relates to the cost of the purchase one could/should/would also offset this factor/cost with the thrill of the hunt for it's own entertainment value. I mean, what better way to kill a Saturday than to hunt down tool and machine bargains?...
"Unisaw A100" wrote in message .. <snip>> factor/cost with the thrill of the hunt for it's own

G'day Keith,
Well, there's um, ahh. <rethinks> Did you say 10-12 for a combo set?
Groggy (who's finally getting some shop time)
Greg Millen wrote:

Hey Der/Ho Der/Hi Der Greg,

On a good day a body can find a Starrett 4R blade in the $1/$2 range, maybe $5. A head might set you back $5/$10, maybe as high as $20. A full set (head/scribe/blade) can be found in the $10/$20 range, maybe $30. My best was the full boat (head/scribe/blade/protractor/center head) for $20ish.

sigh...
UA100, just lounging this weekend after 19 straight days at work (at work of course)...

Um, maybe killing that Saturday in the shop *making* something. But then,I forgot, you have the sawdust-free shop.

Keeter, Sorry about that, I really meant to include a smiley at the end of that comment. No disrespect nor derision were intended, only a slight amount of ribbing.
Just getting back to where teranews is posting again.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Zat's OK. Smiley or no smiley my come back was/would have been, why yes, all my saw dust is free.
Or something like that.

Muzzles suck, don't they?
UA100

... snip

You ain't kidding. Somewhere about last Wednesday, I was able to read rec.ww, but all attempts to post resulted in connection timeouts. I wrote Teranews "help" desk the following request for help (BTW, I have the paid account, not the free account):

To which the ever-helpful folks at Teranews had the following response:
"All 3.95 one time setup fee ( free accounts ) use the free.teranews.com on port 119 news server only in your news client. All monthly billed accounts use the news.teranews.com news server on port 119 or alt.teranews.com on port 443 in your news client only. Login to the manage accounts area with your username and password to verify it says active before your username and password will work."
Somehow, I think a "help-bot" is the only help available at Teranews. It probably keyed off my signature that included the verbiage: Username: <name>

I haven't checked the many other replies in the thread, so this may have been covered already. Starret's been around since 1880. Many of the tools a woodworker might use are readily available used. While some may be damaged and unusable, most were owned and cared for by machinists whose living depended on their accuracy. Many of the used Starrett tools I own have long outlived their original owners.
Most machinists' tools were made to measure .001" or less. Even if not quite so percise, I don't know of too many woodworkers more accurate than .01".
While they were certianly expensive when purchased new (as now) their current value can greatly exceed the current cost on the used (or previously owned) market.
Alan