Buuild mobile bases for Drill Press

I have a pretty heavy(200lb?) bench top drill press and want to build a mobile base for it. Did anyone tried building mobile base? What would be your recommendation about design and casters?

Thanks!

Reply to
Alex

Alex

I took two pieces of 3/4" ply and bolted them to the bottom (mine's a free standing drill press). I then attached 4 casters (forget exactly any model numbers, just that Grizzly had them on sale a couple years ago and I bought like 20 of the things....red, poly, locking....400 lb rating?) and it's worked great. I still have to be careful moving the thing around given it's top heaviness but overall, no worries. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I had a bigish table top drill press for a long time. it was sized like a floor model but with a shorter column. the weight being about right, that may be what you have.

I used a pedestal with drawers from an old steel office desk. with the drawers filled with drill press vise, bits and other tooling it was not in the least top heavy.

some stout casters will make it mobile.

Reply to
bridger